The Role of Depression in Predicting Antiretroviral Adherence in Ugandan Parents and Their Children Initiating HAART in the MTCT-Plus Family Treatment Model: Commentary on Jayne Byakika-Tusiime et al. 2009
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, World Health Organization. AIDS epidemic update: December 2005. Publication UNAIDS/05.19E. Geneva: UNAIDS; 2005.
- Harrigan PR, Hogg RS, Dong WW, Yip B, Wynhoven B, Woodward J, et al. Predictors of HIV drug-resistance mutations in a large antiretroviral-naive cohort initiating triple antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis. 2005;191(3):339–47. CrossRef
- Byakika-Tusiime J, Crane J, Oyugi JH, Ragland K, Kawuma A, Musoke P, et al. Longitudinal antiretroviral adherence in HIV+ Ugandan parents and their children initiating HAART in the MTCT-plus family treatment model: role of depression in declining adherence over time. AIDS Behav. 2009;13:S82–91. CrossRef
- Nakimuli-Mpungu E, Musisi S, Mpungu SK, Katabira E. Primary mania versus HIV related secondary mania in Uganda. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163(8):1349–54. CrossRef
- Nakimuli-Mpungu E, Musisi S, Kiwuwa Mpungu S, Katabira E. Early-onset versus late-onset HIV-related secondary mania in Uganda. Psychosomatics. 2008;49(6):530–4. CrossRef
- Wong MH, Robertson K, Nakasujja N, Skolasky R, Musisi S, Katabira E. Frequency of and risk factors for HIV dementia in an HIV clinic in sub-Saharan Africa. Neurology. 2007;68(5):350–5. CrossRef
- Sacktor NC, Wong M, Nakasujja N, Skolasky RL, Selnes OA, Musisi S, et al. The international HIV dementia scale: a new rapid screening test for HIV dementia. AIDS. 2005;19(13):1367–74.
- Nakimuli-Mpungu E, Musisi S, Kiwuwa Mpungu S, Katabira E. The clinical presentation of bipolar disorder mania in HIV positive patients in Uganda (Forth coming in the Psychosomatics 2009 July–Aug issue).
- Walters K, Buszewicz M, Russell J, Humphrey C. Teaching as therapy: cross sectional and qualitative evaluation of patients’ experiences of undergraduate psychiatry teaching in the community. BMJ. 2003;326(7392):740. CrossRef
- Beck AT, Steer RA. Internal consistencies of the original and revised Beck depression inventory. J Clin Psychol. 1984;40:1365–7. CrossRef
- Bolton P, Bass J, Neugebauer R, Verdeli H, Clougherty KF, Wickramaratne P, et al. Group interpersonal psychotherapy for depression in rural Uganda: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2003;289(23):3117–24. CrossRef
- Wilk CM, Bolton P. Local perceptions of the mental health effects of the Uganda acquired immunodeficiency syndrome epidemic. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2002;190(6):394–7. CrossRef
- Okello ES, Neema S. Explanatory models and help-seeking behavior: pathways to psychiatric care among patients admitted for depression in Mulago hospital, Kampala, Uganda. Qual Health Res. 2007;17(1):14–25. CrossRef
- Okello ES, Ekblad S. Lay concepts of depression among the Baganda of Uganda: a pilot study. Transcult Psychiatry. 2006;43(2):287–313. CrossRef
- Kaharuza FM, Bunnell R, Moss S, Purcell DW, Bikaako-Kajura W, Wamai N, et al. Depression and CD4 cell count among persons with HIV infection in Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2006;10(Suppl 4):S105–11. CrossRef
- Musisi S, Nakasujja N, Zziwa J. A comparison of depression among patients with HIV/AIDS and pulmonary tuberculosis. Proceedings of the African Association of Psychiatry and Allied Professions Annual Conference. Nairobi, Kenya; March 21–23, 2007.
- Akena DH, Musisi S, Kinyanda E. A comparative study of depression among HIV positive and HIV-negative patients in Butabika and Mulago hospitals, Uganda. Procedings for the 4th Annual Makerere University College of Health Sciences Scientific conference 17–19 September 2008.
- Nakasujja N, Skolasky RL, Musisi S, Allebeck P, Robertson K, Ronald A, Katabira E, Clifford DB, Sacktor N. Depression symptoms and cognitive function among HIV positive individuals in Uganda. Proceedings for the 4th Annual Makerere University College of Health Sciences Scientific conference 17–19 September 2008.
- Schulberg HC, Katon WJ, Simon GE, Rush AJ. Best clinical practice: guidelines for managing major depression in primary medical care. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999;60(Suppl 7):19–26. (discussion 27-8).
- Gibbie T, Hay M, Hutchison CW, Mijch A. Depression, social support and adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy in people living with HIV/AIDS. Sex Health. 2007;4(4):227–32. CrossRef
- Horberg MA, Silverberg MJ, Hurley LB, Towner WJ, Klein DB, Bersoff-Matcha S, et al. Effects of depression and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use on adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy and on clinical outcomes in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47(3):384–90. CrossRef
- Hirschfeld RM. The comorbidity of major depression and anxiety disorders: recognition and management in primary care. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;3(6):244–54. CrossRef
- Hasin DS, Glick H. Depressive symptoms and DSM-III-R alcohol dependence: general population results. Addiction. 1993;88(10):1431–6. CrossRef
- Jacobs N, Rijsdijk F, Derom C, Vlietinck R, Delespaul P, van Os J, et al. Genes making one feel blue in the flow of daily life: a momentary assessment study of gene stress interaction. Psychosom Med. 2006;68(2):201–6. CrossRef
- The Role of Depression in Predicting Antiretroviral Adherence in Ugandan Parents and Their Children Initiating HAART in the MTCT-Plus Family Treatment Model: Commentary on Jayne Byakika-Tusiime et al. 2009
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 969-972
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mental Health Department, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N. Broadway, Hampton House, Rm 784, Baltimore, MD, 21205, USA
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Mulago Hospital, P.O. Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda