Date: 17 Jun 2009
The competency movement in the health professions: ensuring consistent standards or reproducing conventional domains of practice?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Albanese, A, Mejicano, G, Mullan, P, Kokotailo, P, Gruppen, L (2008) Defining characteristics of educational competencies. Medical Education 42: pp. 248-255 CrossRef
- Australian Association of Occupational Therapists (2009). Australian competency standards for entry-level occupational therapists. Available at: http://svc048.wic138dp.server-web.com/images/File/Australian%20Competency%20Standards%20for%20Entry%20Level%20OTs%201994.pdf. Accessed April 9 2009.
- Canadian Nurses Association (2005). Canadian nurse practitioner core competency framework. Available at: http://www.cno.org/for/rnec/pdf/CompetencyFramework_en.pdf. Accessed March 21 2009.
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute (2008). The safety competences: Enhancing patient safety across the professions. Available at: http://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/English/education/safetyCompetencies/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed April 22 2009.
- Carraccio, C, Wolfsthal, S, Englander, R, Ferentz, K, Martin, C (2002) Shifting paradigms: From Flexner to competencies. Academic Medicine 77: pp. 361-367 CrossRef
- Lurie, S, Mooney, C, Lyness, J (2009) Measurement of the general competencies of the accreditation council for graduate medical education: A systematic review. Academic Medicine 84: pp. 301-309 CrossRef
- National Center for Gerontological Social Work Education (2009). Foundation gerontological social work competencies. Available at: http://depts.washington.edu/geroctr/Curriculum3/sub3_3_1Competencies.html. Accessed April 15 2009.
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement (2009). Medical leadership competency framework. Available at: http://www.institute.nhs.uk/assessment_tool/general/medical_leadership_competency_framework_-_homepage.html. Accessed April 2 2009.
- Public Health Agency of Canada (2007). Core competencies for public health in Canada release 1.0. Available at: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/core_competencies. Accessed April 9 2009.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (2005). The CanMEDS physician competency framework. Available at: http://rcpsc.medical.org/canmeds/index.php. Accessed April 22 2009.
- Talbot, M (2004) Monkey see, monkey do: A critique of the competency model in graduate medical education. Medical Education 38: pp. 587-592 CrossRef
- Turnbull, J, Cunnington, J, Unsal, A, Norman, G, Ferguson, B (2006) Competence and cognitive difficulty in physicians: A follow-up study. Academic Medicine 81: pp. 915-918 CrossRef
- Wright Mills, C (2000) The power elite (New Edition). Oxford University Press, New York
- The competency movement in the health professions: ensuring consistent standards or reproducing conventional domains of practice?
Advances in Health Sciences Education
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 451-453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links