HIV/AIDS-Anxiety among Adolescent Students in Botswana
- Mary Adeola Onyewadume
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research investigated the incidence of HIV/AIDS anxiety among students in Botswana. The sample comprised 240 randomly selected students from six schools in three districts in Botswana, with data collected via a questionnaire. Percentages and Chi-square were used to analyze the extent to which the students were anxious about HIV/AIDS and if there was a significant gender difference in this regard. Findings showed that the students were anxious on several fronts about HIV/AIDS; specifically that they and their relations might contract the virus and that they might lose family members. There was gender difference in terms of anxiety about the possibility that relations might become infected. The role of the counsellor in reducing HIV/AIDS anxiety among students in communities living with HIV/AIDS is discussed.
- Advocates for Youth (1998). Adolescent sexual and reproductive health in sub-Saharan Africa. Retrieved May 27, 2007, from http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/factsheet/fssxrepr.htm.
- Advocates for Youth (2006). HIV/AIDS pandemic among youth in sub-Saharan Africa. Retrieved on May 22, 2006, from http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/factsheet/fshivaidsaf.htm.
- AVERT. (2006). HIV/AIDS in Botswana. Retrieved July 5, 2006, from http://www.avert.org/aidsbotswana.htm.
- AVERT. (2007). Children HIV & AIDS. Retrieved May 31, 2007, from http://www.avert.org/children.htm.
- Berg, L. B. (2004) Qualitative research methods for the social sciences. Allyn & Bacon, New York
- Bor, R., Miller, R., Goldman, F. (1993) HIV/AIDS and the family: A review research in the first decade. Journal of Family Therapy 15: pp. 187-204 CrossRef
- Policy guide-lines on the implementation of guidance and counselling in Botswana’s education system. Government Printers, Gaborone
- Brandt, R. (2005). Maternal well-being, childcare and child adjustment in the context of HIV/AIDS: What does the psychological literature say? Retrieved May 15, 2006, from http://www.sarpn.org.za/documents/d0001743/index.php.
- Costin, A. C., Page, B. J., Pietrzak, D. R., Kerr, D., Symons, S. W. (2002) HIV/AIDS knowledge and beliefs among pre-service and in-service school counselors. Professional School Counseling 6: pp. 79-85
- Family Health International. (2007). Adolescents need skills and self confidence to abstain or reduce. Retrieved May 27, 2007, from http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/Network/v20_3/Networkvol20-3.htm.
- Gay, L. R., Airasian, P. (2003) Educational research competencies for analysis and applications. Pearson Educational, New Jersey
- Jackson, H. (2002) AIDS Africa: Continent in crisis. SAFAIDS, Harare
- Jacques, G. The Oliver Twist syndrome: Orphans, HIV and community drama in Botswana. In: Biakolo, E., Mathangwane, J., Odallo, D. eds. (2003) The Discourse of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Department of English, University of Botswana, Gaborone, pp. 24-30
- Kahaka, C. (2004). Coping Strategies for HIV/AIDS: The case of counselling people with HIV/AIDS centre (COCEPW A), Gaborone, Botswana. Master’s thesis. Gaborone, Botswana: University of Botswana.
- Lindsey, E., Hirschfeld, M., Tlou, S. (2003) Home based care in Botswana: Experiences of older women and young girls. Health Care for Women International 24: pp. 486-501
- Malema, N. (2006). Challenges and adjustment strategies facing caregivers of children living with HIV in Gaborone: Implications for counsellors. Master’s thesis. Gaborone, Botswana: University of Botswana.
- McClelland, C. (2002) In South Africa, only the funeral industry is booming. Canadian Medical Association Journal 167: pp. 526
- Mogae, F. G. (2004). A key note address. Retrieved May 27, 2007, from http://www.naca.gov.bw/documents/2004%20HE%20The%20President%20world%20aids%20day%20Gansti%20Speech.pdf.
- Muula, A. S., Mfusto-Bengo, J. M. (2004) Important but neglected ethical and cultural considerations in the fight against HN/AIDS in Malawi. Nursing Ethics 5: pp. 479-579 CrossRef
- Mwikisa, M. (2004). Anti-retroviral therapy: The experience of women on PMPCT Program, Botswana. Master’s thesis. Gaborone, Botswana: University of Botswana.
- NACA. (2004). Botswana HIV/AIDS Impact Survey II. Retrieved August 12, 2006, from http://www.naca.gov.bw/SURVEYII2004.htm.
- Ntseane, P. (2004). Cultural dimensions of sexuality: Empowerment challenge for HIV/AIDS prevention in Botswana. In: Proceedings of the Learning and empowerment: Key issues in strategies for HIV/AIDS prevention International Workshop/Seminar, Chaingmai, Thailand, March 1–5.
- Onyewadume, M. A. Language as metaphoric reinforcer of HIV/AIDS: Analysis of some African languages. In: Biakolo, E., Mathangwane, J., Odallo, D. eds. (2003) The discourse of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Department of English University of Botswana, Gaborone, pp. 101-103
- Onyewadume, M. A. (2006) Stress and coping strategies: The case of working women in Botswana. The Social Sciences 1: pp. 85-90
- Petso, K. M. (2005). Teachers’ care of orphans in the secondary school: The case of government senior secondary schools in Gaborone, Botswana. Master’s thesis. Gaborone, Botswana: University of Botswana.
- United Nations Population Fund (2003). HIV/AIDS and adolescents. Retrieved on May 16, 2006, from http://www.unfpa.org/swp/2003/english/ch3/index.htm.
- UNICEF HIV/AIDS Programme in Malawi (2006). Donate for children and unite against HIV/AIDS. Retrieved on May 27, 2007, http://www.unicef.ca/portal/SmartDefault.aspx?at=1701.
- White, J., & Bednarz, R. (2001). AIDS study in Africa could have U.S. benefits. Retrieved August17, 2006, from http://www.tamu.edu/univrel/aggiedaily/news/stories/01/052401-6.html.
- HIV/AIDS-Anxiety among Adolescent Students in Botswana
International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 179-188
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Gender differences
- Counsellor role
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana