Core curriculum illustration: cerebral venous thrombosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This is the fifth installment of a series that will highlight one case per publication issue from the bank of cases available online as part of the American Society of Emergency Radiology (ASER) educational resources. Our goal is to generate more interest in and use of our online materials. To view more cases online, please visit the ASER Core Curriculum and Recommendations for Study online at http://www.aseronline.org/curriculum/toc.htm.
A 27-year-old woman with history of sinus headaches developed severe headache and nausea 2 days prior to presentation. The headache was sharp, frontal in location, and radiating to the nose and eyes. Initially, she attributed the headache to her sinus disease, but after there was no improvement over 2 days, she presented to the emergency department. She has a past medical history of polycystic ovarian syndrome for which she takes oral contraceptive pills (OCPs).
An initial non-contrast head CT shows high attenuation areas in the region of ...
- Poon CS, Chang JK, Swarnkar A et al (2007) Radiologic diagnosis of cerebral venous thrombosis: pictorial review. Am J Radiol 189:S64–S75
- Rodallec MH, Krainik A, Feydy A et al (2006) Cerebral venous thrombosis and multidetector CT angiography: tips and tricks. Radiographics 26:S5–S18 CrossRef
- Leach JL, Fortuna RB, Jones BV et al (2006) Imaging of cerebral venous thrombosis: current techniques, spectrum of findings, and diagnostic pitfalls. Radiographics 26:S19–S43 CrossRef
- Karthikeyan D, Vijay S, Kumar T et al (2004) Cerebral venous thrombosis-spectrum of CT findings. Neuroradiology 14:129–137
- Biousse V, Bousser MG (1999) Cerebral venous thrombosis. Neurologist 5:236–249 CrossRef
- Aliasgar V, Moiyadi MC, Indira Devi B (2006) Posttraumatic non-sinus cerebral venous thrombosis. Indian J of Neurotrauma 3:143–146
- Core curriculum illustration: cerebral venous thrombosis
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 83-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Emergency Radiology, UW Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Ave, Box 359728, Seattle, WA, 98117, USA
- 2. Department of Radiology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, Room HX 313E, Lexington, KY, 40356-0293, USA