Rita Levi-Montalcini, one of the most prominent Italian personalities of the twentieth century
- Antonio Federico
- … show all 1 hide
This was the sentence pronounced by a great number of people on the 2nd January 2013, during the funeral of Rita Levi-Montalcini, in the Monumental Cemetery in Turin, interpreting the opinion of all people in Italy, in Europe and in the World. And in the same way, the Journal Neurological Sciences wants to celebrate and remember her.
In fact she was an outstanding personality, that signed our history along all the twentieth century, and after her death at the age of 103, she leaves a memory of symbols to which we have to look as example of life and of high human principles. In fact her humanitarian and scientific activity for all the long life is a special heritage that we have to store in our memory and to transfer to young generations.
Born on 22 April 1909 at Turin from an Italian Jewish family, together with her twin sister Paola, she was the youngest of four children. Her parents were Adamo Levi, an electrical engineer and Adele Montalcini, an artist. Adamo discouraged his three dau ...
- Les Prix Nobel (1987) The Nobel Prizes 1986. Editor Wilhelm Odelberg [Nobel Foundation], Stockholm
- Abbott, A (2009) Neuroscience: one hundred years of Rita. Nature 458: pp. 564-567 CrossRef
- Aloe, L (2011) Rita Levi-Montalcini and the discovery of NGF, the first nerve cell growth factor. Arch Ital Biol 149: pp. 175-181
- Chao, MV (2010) A conversation with Rita Levi-Montalcini. Annu Rev Physiol 72: pp. 1-13 CrossRef
- Cowan, WM (2001) Viktor Hamburger and Rita Levi-Montalcini: the path to the discovery of nerve growth factor. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: pp. 551-600 CrossRef
- Levi-Montalcini, R (2000) From a home-made laboratory to the Nobel Prize: an interview with Rita Levi Montalcini. Int J Dev Biol 44: pp. 563-566
- Rita Levi-Montalcini, one of the most prominent Italian personalities of the twentieth century
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 131-133
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Antonio Federico (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Surgery and Neurosciences, Medical School, University of Siena, Viale Bracci 2, 53100, Siena, Italy