Photodynamic therapy in dentistry: a literature review
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this review was to summarize recent developments regarding photodynamic therapy (PDT) in the field of dentistry.
Materials and methods
A review of pertinent literature was carried out in PubMED to determine the current position of PDT applications in dentistry. One hundred thirteen relevant articles were retrieved from PubMED by inserting the keywords “photodynamic therapy”, “dentistry”, “periodontology”, “oral surgery”, and “endodontics”. It is anticipated that this overview will create a specific picture in the practitioner’s mind regarding the current status and use of PDT.
In spite of different results and suggestions brought about by different researchers, PDT can be considered as a promising and less invasive technique in dentistry.
PDT seems to be an effective tool in the treatment of localized and superficial infections. Within the limitations of the present review, it can be concluded that although PDT cannot replace antimicrobial therapy at its current stage, it may be used as an adjunctive tool for facilitating the treatment of oral infections.
Oral infections (such as mucosal and endodontic infections, periodontal diseases, caries, and peri-implantitis) are among the specific targets where PDT can be applied. Further long-term clinical studies are necessary in establishing a more specific place of the technique in the field of dentistry.
- Photodynamic therapy in dentistry: a literature review
Clinical Oral Investigations
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 1113-1125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Photodynamic therapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Bagdat cad. No. 238, Goztepe, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2. Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Bagdat cad. No. 238, Goztepe, Istanbul, Turkey
- 3. Department of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Bagdat cad. No. 238, Goztepe, Istanbul, Turkey