Management of the large cranial osteoma: Experience with 13 adult patients
- Y. Izci
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background. Large osteomas are benign, slow-growing and rare neoplasms of the skull, which are usually asymptomatic but may need surgical resection.
Patient and methods. We reported a series of 13 adult patients who had large cranial osteomas and who underwent surgical treatment over a period of 5 years. All of the patients were male and the mean age was 21.8 years.
Findings. Craniectomy associated with cranioplasty was performed in 10 patients and drilling of the bone tumor was performed in 3 patients. Tumour regrowth was not observed in any patient.
Conclusion. Although most of the cranial osteomas are asymptomatic, surgical treatment is indicated for large ones. Each patient must be individualized and the selection of the type of surgery depends on the shape and growth pattern of the osteoma.
- Arseni, C, Ionesco, S (1958) Les ostéomes craniens.. Acta Chir Belg 57: pp. 150-161
- Bhandari, YS, Jones, RA (1972) Osteoma of the middle cranial fossa. Case report.. J Neurosurg 37: pp. 610-612
- Blitzer, A, Post, KD, Conley, J (1989) Craniofacial resection of ossifying fibromas and osteomas of the sinuses.. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 115: pp. 1112-1115
- De Chalain, T, Tan, B (2003) Ivory osteoma of the craniofacial skeleton.. J Craniofac Surg 14: pp. 729-735 CrossRef
- Dukes, HT, Odom, GL (1962) Discrete intradural osteoma. Report of a case.. J Neurosurg 19: pp. 251-253
- Eppley, BL, Kim, W, Sadove, AM (2003) Large osteomas of the cranial vault.. J Craniofac Surg 14: pp. 97-100 CrossRef
- Fechner RE, Mills SE (1993) Osseous lesions. In: Fechner RE, Mills SE (eds) Atlas of tumor pathology. Tumors of the bones and joints, 3rd series, fascicle 8, Armed forces. Institude of Pathology, Washington DC, pp 26–28
- Fobe, LP, Melo, EC, Cannone, LF, Fobe, JL (2002) Surgery of frontal sinus osteoma.. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60: pp. 101-105
- Haddad, FS, Haddad, GF, Zaatari, G (1997) Cranial osteomas: their classification and management. Report on a giant osteoma and review of the literature.. Surg Neurol 48: pp. 143-147 CrossRef
- Hamilton HB, Voorhies RM (1996) Tumors of the skull. In: Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS (eds) Neurosurgery, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 1503–1528
- Liu, JK, Gottfried, ON, Cole, CD, Dougherty, WR, Couldwell, WT (2004) Porous polyethylene implant for cranioplasty and skull base reconstruction.. Neurosurg Focus 16: pp. 1-5
- Mirra JM (1989) Bone tumors: clinical, radiologic and pathologic correlations. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, pp 174–182
- Onishi, K, Maruyama, Y, Sawaizumi, M (1995) Endoscopic excision of forehead osteoma.. J Craniofac Surg 6: pp. 516-518
- Rand, CW (1923) Osteoma of the skull: report of two cases one being associated with a large intracranial endothelioma.. Arch Surg (Chicago) 6: pp. 573-586
- Ritvo M (1949) Roentgen diagnosis of diseases of the skull. In: Annals of Roentgenology, vol 19. Paul B. Hoeber, New York, pp 330–332
- Schajowicz F (1994) Bone-forming tumors. In: Schajowicz F (ed) Tumors and tumor like lesions of bone. Pathology, radiology and treatment, 2nd edn. Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp 29–140
- Scott, M, Peale, AR, Croissant, PD (1971) Intracranial midline anterior fossae ossifying fibroma invading orbits, paranasal sinuses and right maxillary antrum: case report.. J Neurosurg 34: pp. 827-831
- Smith, ME, Calcaterra, TC (1989) Frontal sinus osteoma.. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 98: pp. 896-900
- Udovicki, J, Milosevic, D, Dubljevic, L (1991) Giant osteomas of the paranasal sinuses.. Med Pregl 44: pp. 467-470
- Management of the large cranial osteoma: Experience with 13 adult patients
Volume 147, Issue 11 , pp 1151-1155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Keywords: Cranium; large osteoma; surgical treatment.
- Industry Sectors
- Y. Izci (A1)
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Department of Neurosurgery, Maresal Cakmak Military Hospital, Erzurum, Turkey