Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia in an aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery: Report of a case
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We herein report a rare case of an intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia in an aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery. The patient was a 67-yearold Japanese woman. She noticed a throbbing swelling in her left forehead, which had gradually been increasing in size. She had no previous history of head trauma. Ultrasonography and three-dimensional computed tomographic angiography revealed an aneurysm with a mural thrombus measuring 10 mm in diameter fed by the frontal branch of the left superficial temporal artery. The aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery was dissected from the surrounding tissues, and was resected after ligation of feeding vessels. A microscopic examination revealed papillary endothelial hyperplasia in a true aneurysm. Nontraumatic aneurysms of the superficial temporal artery are rare. In the previous English literature, there have only been a few reports of papillary endothelial hyperplasia in an artery, and none in an aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery.
- Romero AC, Fulkerson E, Rockman CB, Bosco J, Rosen J. Traumatic superficial temporal artery pseudoaneurysms in a minor league baseball player: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Orthop 2004;33:200–205.
- Brown RK, Mehnert RH. Aneurysm of temporal artery. Surgery 1942;12:711–714.
- Martin WL, Shoemaker WC. Temporal artery aneurysm. Am J Surg 1955;89:700–702. CrossRef
- Buckspan RJ, Rees RS. Aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery presenting as a parotid mass. Plast Reconstr Surg 1986; 78:515–517. CrossRef
- Locatelli D, Messina AL, Ricevuti G, Gajno TM. J Neuroradiol 1988;15:89–93.
- Dailey RA, Wilson DJ, Putnam D. Superficial temporal-artery aneurysm. Ophthalm Surg 1994;25:328–329.
- Uchida N, Sakuma M. Atherosclerotic superficial temporal artery aneurysm: report of a case. Surg Today 1999;29:575–578. CrossRef
- Endo T, Mori K, Maeda M. Multiple arteriosclerotic fusiform aneurysms of the superficial temporal artery. Case report. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2000;40:321–323. CrossRef
- Porcellini M, Bernardo B, Spinetti F, Carbone F. J Cardiovasc Surg 2001;42:233–236.
- Riaz AA, Ismail M, Sheikh N, Ahmed N, Atkin G, Richman P, Loh A. Spontaneously arising superficial temporal artery aneurysms: a report of two cases and review of the literature. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2004;86:w38–w40. CrossRef
- Ysa A, Arruabarrena A, Bustabad MR, Perez E, del Camp A, Garacia AJ. Images in vascular medicine. True aneurysm of superficial temporal artery aneurysm. Vasc Med 2008;13:295–296.
- Kawanobori M, Kuroda S, Nakayama N, Kenmotsu Y, Shimizu H, Tanino M, Iwasaki Y. Spontaneous giant aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery. Case report. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2009;49:198–201. CrossRef
- Piffaretti G, Casteli P. True aneurysms of the superficial temporal artery: report of the three cases. Ann Vasc Surg 2009;23:687. e15–7. CrossRef
- Masson P. Hemangioendotheliome vegetant intra-vasculaire. Bull Soc Anat Paris 1923;93:517–523.
- Lesly WS, Kupsky WJ, Guthikonda M. Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia arising within a posteroinferior cerebellar artery aneurysm: case report and review of the literature. Neurosurgery 2000;47:961–965. CrossRef
- Velazquez CJ, Font JI, Torres F, Araji O, Barquero JM. Masson tumor as humeral artery aneurysm. Ann Vasc Surg 2008;22: 127–129. CrossRef
- McMahon GS, Mikhail HM, Molyneux AJ, Thomas DV, Hicks RC. “Masson’s pseudoangiosarcoma” in a popliteal aneurysm: Tumor or thrombus? Cause or effect? Ann Vasc Surg 2010;24:257.e1–3. CrossRef
- Peick AL, Nichols WK, Curtis JJ, Silver D. Aneurysms and pseudoaneurysms of the superficial temporal artery caused by trauma. J Vasc Surg 1988;8:606–610.
- Komiyama M, Nakajima H, Nishikawa M, Yasui T. Treatment of traumatic aneurysms of the superficial temporal artery. J Trauma 1997;43:545–548. CrossRef
- Partap VA, Cassoff J, Glikstein R. US-guided percutaneous thrombin injection: A new method of repair of superficial temporal artery pseudoaneurysm. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2000;11:461–463. CrossRef
- Yoshimoto T, Kobayashi H, Murai H, Echizenya K, Satoh M. Multiple scalp aneurysm caused by atypical temporal arteritis. Neurol Med Chir 1998;38:405–408. CrossRef
- Goodman BW. Temporal arteritis. Am J Med 1979;67:839–852. CrossRef
- Olsen TG, Helwig EB. Angiolymphoid hyperplasia with eosinophilia. A clinicopathologic study of 116 patients. J Am Acad Dermatol 1985;12:781–796. CrossRef
- Albrecht S, Kahn HJ. Immunohistochemistry of intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia. J Cutan Pathol 1990;17:16–21. CrossRef
- Levere SM, Barsky SH, Meals RA. Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia: a neoplastic “actor” representing an exaggerated attempt at recanalization mediated by basic fibroblast growth factor. J Hand Surg 1994;19:559–564. CrossRef
- Avellino AM, Grant GA, Harris AB, Wallace SK, Shaw CM. Recurrent intracranial Masson’s vegetant intravascular hemangioendothelioma. Case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg 1999;91:308–312. CrossRef
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia in an aneurysm of the superficial temporal artery: Report of a case
Volume 41, Issue 10 , pp 1450-1454
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Superficial temporal artery aneurysm
- True aneurysm
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia
- Industry Sectors