Aloe versus silver sulfadiazine creams for second-degree burns: A randomized controlled study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Burn injury is associated with a high incidence of death and disability; yet its management remains problematic and costly. We conducted this clinical study to evaluate the efficacy of aloe vera cream for partial thickness burn wounds and compare its results with those of silver sulfadiazine (SSD).
Thirty patients with similar types of second-degree burns at two sites on different parts of the body were included in this study. Each patient had one burn treated with topical SSD and one treated with aloe cream, randomly.
The rate of re-epithelialization and healing of the partial thickness burns was significantly faster in the site treated with aloe than in the site treated with SSD (15.9 ± 2 vs 18.73 ± 2.65 days, respectively; P < 0.0001). The sites treated with aloe were completely healed in less than 16 days vs 19 days for the sites treated with SSD.
These results clearly demonstrated the greater efficacy of aloe cream over SSD cream for treating second-degree burns.
- Gore MA, Akholekar D. Evaluation of banana leaf dressing for partial -thickness burn wounds. Burns 2003;29:487–492. CrossRef
- Khorasani G, Hosseinimehr SJ, Eghbalian A. Epidemiology and mortality of burns in the north of Iran. Res J Biol Sci 2007;2:519–522.
- Vloemans AFPM, Soesman AM, Suijker M, Kreis RW, Middelkoop E. A randomized clinical trial comparing a hydrocolloid-derived dressing and glycerol preserved allograft skin in the management of partial thickness burn. Burns 2003;29:702–710. CrossRef
- Visuthikosol V, Chowchuen B, Sukwanarat Y, Sriurairatana S, Boonpucknavig V. Effect of aloe vera gel to healing of burn wound a clinical and histologic study. J Med Assoc Thai 1995;78:403–409.
- Atiyeh BS, Costagliola M, Hayek SN, Dibo S. Effect of silver on burn wound infection control and healing: review of the literature. Burns 2007;33:139–148. CrossRef
- Klasen HJ. A historical review of the use of silver in the treatment of burns. II. Renewed interest for silver. Burns 2000;26:131–138. CrossRef
- Hu Q, Hu Y, Xu J. Free radical-scavenging activity of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) extracts by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction. Food Chem 2005;91:85–90. CrossRef
- Maenthaisong R, Chaiyakunapruk N, Niruntraporn S, Kongkaew C. The efficacy of aloe vera used for burn wound healing: a systematic review. Burns 2007;33:713–718. CrossRef
- Rodriguez-Bigas M, Cruz NI, Suarez A. Comparative evaluation of aloe vera in the management of burn wounds in guinea pigs. Plast Reconstr Surg 1988;81:389–396. CrossRef
- West DP, Zhu Yf. Evaluation of aloe vera gel gloves in the treatment of dry skin associated with occupational exposure. Am J Infect Control 2003;31:40–42. CrossRef
- Agarry OO, Olaleye MT, Bello-Michael. Comparative antimicrobial activities of aloe vera gel and leaf. Afr J Biotechnol 2005;4:1413–1414.
- Rosca-Casian O, Parvu M, Vlase L, Tmas M. Antifungal activity of aloe vera leaves. Fitoterapia 2007;78:219–222. CrossRef
- Chow JTN, Williamson DA, Yates KM, Goux WJ. Chemical characterization of the immunomodulating polysaccharide of aloe vera L. Carbohydrate Res 2005;340:1131–1142. CrossRef
- Habeeb F, Shakir E, Bradbury F, Cameron P, Taravati MR, Drummond AJ, et al. Screening methods used to determine the antimicrobial properties of Aloe vera inner gel. Methods 2007;42:315–320. CrossRef
- Muller MJ, Hollyoak MA, Moaveni Z, Brown LH, Herdon DN, Heggers JP. Retardation of wound healing by silver sulfadiazine is reversed by aloe vera and nystatin. Burns 2003;29:834–836. CrossRef
- Somboonwong J, Thanamittramanee S, Jariyapongskul A, Patumraj S. Therapeutic effects of Aloe vera on cutaneous microcirculation and wound healing in second degree burn model in rats. J Med Assoc Thai 2000;83:417–425.
- Ulkür E, Oncül O, Karagöz H, Celiköz B, Cavuşlu S. Comparison of silver-coated dressing (acticoat), chlorhexidin acetate 0.5% (bactigrass), and silver sulfadiazine 1% (silverdin) for topical antibacterial effect in pseudomonas aeruginus-contaminated, full-skin thickness burn wounds in rats. J Burn Care Rehabil 2005;26:430–433. CrossRef
- Chaby G, Viseux V, Poulain JF, De Cagny B, Denoeux JP, Lok C. Topical silver sulfadiazine-induced acute renal failure. Ann Dermatol Vener 2005;132:891–893. CrossRef
- Fraser JF, Cuttle L, Kempf M, Kimble R. Cytotoxicity of topical antimicrobial agents used in burn wounds in Australia. Aust NZ J Surg 2004;74:139–142. CrossRef
- Trop M, Novak M, Rodl S, Hellbom B, Kroell W, Goessler W. Silver-coated dressing acticoat caused raised liver enzymes and argyria-like symptoms in burn patient. J Trauma 2006;60:648–652. CrossRef
- Chithra P, Sajithlal GB, Chandrakasan G. Influence of Aloe vera on the glycosaminoglycans in the matrix of healing dermal wounds in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;59:179–186. CrossRef
- Chithra P, Sajithlal GB, Chandrakasan G. Influence of aloe vera on the healing of dermal wounds in diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;59:195–201. CrossRef
- Chithra P, Sajithlal GB, Chandrakasan G. Influence of aloe vera on collagen characteristics in healing dermal wounds in rats. Mol Cell Biochem 1998;181:71–76. CrossRef
- Choi SW, Son BW, Son YS, Park YI, Lee SK, Chung MH. The wound-healing effect of a glycoprotein fraction isolated from aloe vera. Br J Dermatol 2001;145:535–545. CrossRef
- Krishnan PK. The scientific study of herbal wound healing therapies: current state of play. Curr Anaesth Crit Care 2006;17:21–27. CrossRef
- MacKay D, Miller A. Nutritional support for wound healing. Altern Med Rev 2003;8:359–377.
- Duansak D, Somboonwong J, Patumraj S. Effects of aloe vera on leukocyte adhesion and TNF-alpha and IL-6 levels in burn wounded rats. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 2003;29:239–246.
- Civelek A, Ak K, Kurtkaya O, Tekeli A, Isbir S, Nargileci E, et al. Effect of a low molecular weight heparin molecule, dalteparin, on cellular apoptosis and inflammatory process in an incisional wound-healing model. Surg Today 2007;37(5):406–411. CrossRef
- Aloe versus silver sulfadiazine creams for second-degree burns: A randomized controlled study
Volume 39, Issue 7 , pp 587-591
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Aloe vera
- Silver sulfadiazine
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
- 6. Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- 2. Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
- 3. Pharmaceutical Research Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
- 4. Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
- 5. Department of Clinical Laboratory, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran