Prospective study on serum metal levels in patients with metal-on-metal lumbar disc arthroplasty
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Metal-on-metal total disc replacement is a recent alternative treatment for degenerative disc disease. Wear and corrosion of these implants can lead to local and systemic transport of metal debris. This prospective longitudinal study examined the serum chromium and cobalt levels in 24 patients with cobalt–chromium alloy metal-on-metal lumbar disc replacements.
Serum was assayed for chromium (Cr) and cobalt (Co) using high-resolution inductively-coupled plasma-mass spectrometry. Detection limits were 0.015 ng/mL for Cr and 0.04 ng/mL for Co.
Median serum Co levels at pre-op, 3, 6, 12, 24, and 36-months post-op were 0.10, 1.03, 0.96, 0.98, 0.67, and 0.52 ng/mL, respectively. Median serum Cr levels were 0.06, 0.49, 0.65, 0.43, 0.52, and 0.50 ng/mL, respectively.
In general, these results indicated that serum Co and Cr levels are elevated at all postoperative time points and are of the same order of magnitude as those observed in well-functioning metal-on-metal surface replacements of the hip and in metal-on-metal total hip replacements at similar postoperative time points.
- Prospective study on serum metal levels in patients with metal-on-metal lumbar disc arthroplasty
European Spine Journal
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 741-746
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Lumbar degenerative disc disease
- Disc arthroplasty
- Metal ions
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Spine Research Center, The Orthopedic Center of St. Louis, 14825 North Outer Forty Road, Suite 320, St. Louis, MO, 63017, USA
- 2. Hughston Clinic, 6262 Veterans Parkway, Columbus, GA, 31908, USA
- 3. Medtronic, AF Solutions, 8200 Corel Sea Street NE, Minneapolis, MN, 55112, USA
- 4. Covidien, Respiratory and Monitoring Solutions, 6135 Gunbarrel Avenue, Boulder, CO, 80301, USA
- 5. Rush University Medical Center, 1735 W. Harrison, Chicago, IL, 60612, USA