Expression of OATP1B3 determines uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in hepatocellular carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gadolinium-ethoxybenzyl-diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid (Gd-EOB-DTPA) is an MRI contrast agent with perfusion and hepatoselective properties. The purpose of the study was to examine uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in the hepatobiliary phase in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
A retrospective analysis of 22 patients with HCC who underwent preoperative Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI was performed. Enhancement ratios (ERs) and expression levels of the organic anion transporter (OATP) 1B3 protein were examined.
Gd-EOB-DTPA accumulated in the hepatobiliary phase in 6 of the 22 cases. All 6 Gd-EOB-DTPA-positive cases were moderately differentiated HCC, but 11 other moderately differentiated HCCs did not show Gd-EOB-DTPA uptake. Histopathologically, 4 Gd-EOB-DTPA-positive HCCs and 5 Gd-EOB-DTPA-negative HCCs produced bile. HCCs with Gd-EOB-DTPA uptake overexpressed OATP1B3 compared with HCCs without Gd-EOB-DTPA uptake, and OATP1B3 levels were significantly correlated with ERs (r = 0.91, P < 0.0001).
Uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in HCC is determined by expression of OATP1B3 rather than by tumor differentiation or bile production.
- Expression of OATP1B3 determines uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in hepatocellular carcinoma
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 44, Issue 7 , pp 793-798
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Green hepatoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin-Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8507, Japan
- 2. Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Nuclear Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- 3. Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan