Portal hemodynamics and clinical outcomes of patients with gastric varices after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration
Long-term hemodynamic effects and clinical outcomes after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) remain unclear. The purpose of this study was to evaluate long-term clinical results and effects on portal hemodynamics after B-RTO for the treatment of gastric varices with spontaneous gastrorenal shunt.
A total of 21 patients with cirrhosis and gastric varices treated by B-RTO were evaluated. The cumulative survival rate was calculated, portal blood flow was measured by Doppler ultrasonography, and liver function was estimated on the basis of Child-Pugh classification before and 1 year after B-RTO.
Gastric varices disappeared or decreased markedly in size in all patients. Overall cumulative survival rates at 1, 3 and 5 years were 90.48, 71.11 and 53.71%, respectively. Portal blood flow increased significantly from 681.9 ± 294.9 to 837.0 ± 279.1 ml/min (P = 0.0125) after B-RTO. Child-Pugh score was not significantly changed (P = 0.755) after obliteration, but serum albumin was elevated significantly from 3.49 ± 0.49 to 3.75 ± 0.53 g/dl (P = 0.0459). The ascites score was significantly increased (P = 0.0455) after B-RTO, but all cases of ascites could be controlled with medication.
Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration is a safe and effective treatment for gastric varices with gastrorenal shunt. Portal blood flow and serum albumin parameters are increased, and liver function is unchanged after B-RTO.
- Sarin SK, Lahoti D, Saxena SP, Murthy NS, Makwana UK. Prevalence, classification and natural history of gastric varices: a long-term follow-up study in 568 portal hypertension patients. Hepatology. 1992;16(6):1343–9. CrossRef
- Hirota S, Matsumoto S, Tomita M, Sako M, Kono M. Retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices. Radiology. 1999;211(2):349–56.
- Watanabe K, Kimura K, Matsutani S, Ohto M, Okuda K. Portal hemodynamics in patients with gastric varices. A study in 230 patients with esophageal and/or gastric varices using portal vein catheterization. Gastroenterology. 1988;95(2):434–40.
- Trudeau W, Prindiville T. Endoscopic injection sclerosis in bleeding gastric varices. Gastrointest Endosc. 1986;32(4):264–8. CrossRef
- Beppu K, Inokuchi K, Koyanagi N, Nakayama S, Sakata H, Kitano S, et al. Prediction of variceal hemorrhage by esophageal endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 1981;27(4):213–8. CrossRef
- Koito K, Namieno T, Nagakawa T, Morita K. Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric varices with gastrorenal or gastrocaval collaterals. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996;167(5):1317–20.
- Sarin SK, Sachdev G, Nanda R, Misra SP, Broor SL. Endoscopic sclerotherapy in the treatment of gastric varices. Br J Surg. 1988;75(8):747–50. CrossRef
- Kanagawa H, Mima S, Kouyama H, Gotoh K, Uchida T, Okuda K. Treatment of gastric fundal varices by balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1996;11(1):51–8. CrossRef
- Fukuda T, Hirota S, Sugimura K. Long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for the treatment of gastric varices and hepatic encephalopathy. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2001;12(3):327–36. CrossRef
- Ninoi T, Nishida N, Kaminou T, Sakai Y, Kitayama T, Hamuro M, et al. Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices with gastrorenal shunt: long-term follow-up in 78 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;184(4):1340–6.
- Akahane T, Iwasaki T, Kobayashi N, Tanabe N, Takahashi N, Gama H, et al. Changes in liver function parameters after occlusion of gastrorenal shunts with balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration. Am J Gastroenterol. 1997;92(6):1026–30.
- Miyamoto Y, Oho K, Kumamoto M, Toyonaga A, Sata M. Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration improves liver function in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003;18(8):934–42. CrossRef
- Yamagami T, Kato T, Iida S, Tanaka O, Nishimura T. Change in the hemodynamics of the portal venous system after retrograde transvenous balloon occlusion of a gastrorenal shunt. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;181(4):1011–5.
- Chikamori F, Kuniyoshi N, Shibuya S, Takase Y. Short-term hemodynamic effects of transjugular retrograde obliteration of gastric varices with gastrorenal shunt. Dig Surg. 2000;17(4):332–6. CrossRef
- Tajiri T, Yoshida H, Obara K, Onji M, Kage M, et al. General rules for recording endoscopic findings of esophagogastric varices (2nd edition). Dig Endosc. 2010;22(1):1–9. CrossRef
- Paquet KJ, Oberhammer E. Sclerotherapy of bleeding oesophageal varices by means of endoscopy. Endoscopy. 1978;10(1):7–12. CrossRef
- Fleig WE, Stange EF, Ruettenauer K, Ditschuneit H. Emergency endoscopic sclerotherapy for bleeding esophageal varices: a prospective study in patients not responding to balloon tamponade. Gastrointest Endosc. 1983;29(1):8–14. CrossRef
- Kim T, Shijo H, Kokawa H, Tokumitsu H, Kubara K, Ota K, et al. Risk factors for hemorrhage from gastric fundal varices. Hepatology. 1997;25(2):307–12. CrossRef
- Chikamori F, Kuniyoshi N, Shibuya S, Takase Y. Eight years of experience with transjugular retrograde obliteration for gastric varices with gastrorenal shunts. Surgery. 2001;129(4):414–20.
- Kitamoto M, Imamura M, Kamada K, Aikata H, Kawakami Y, Matsumoto A, et al. Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric fundal varices with hemorrhage. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;178(5):1167–74.
- Hiraga N, Aikata H, Takaki S, Kodama H, Shirakawa H, Imamura M, et al. The long-term outcome of patients with bleeding gastric varices after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration. J Gastroenterol. 2007;42(8):663–72. CrossRef
- Matsumoto A, Hamamoto N, Kayazawa M. Balloon endoscopic sclerotherapy, a novel treatment for high-risk gastric fundal varices: a pilot study. Gastroenterology. 1999;117:515–6. CrossRef
- Shiba M, Higuchi K, Nakamura K, Itani A, Kuga T, Okazaki H, et al. Efficacy and safety of balloon-occluded endoscopic injection sclerotherapy as a prophylactic treatment for high-risk gastric fundal varices: a prospective, randomized, comparative clinical trial. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002;56:522–8. CrossRef
- Akahoshi T, Hashizume M, Tomikawa M, Kawanaka H, Yamaguchi S, Konishi K, et al. Long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric variceal bleeding and risky gastric varices: a 10-year experience. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;23(11):1702–9. CrossRef
- Nakamura S, Torii N, Yatsuji S, Konishi H, Kishino M, Taniai M, et al. Long-term follow up of esophageal varices after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric varices. Hepatol Res. 2008;38(4):340–7. CrossRef
- Portal hemodynamics and clinical outcomes of patients with gastric varices after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration
Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Sciences
Volume 17, Issue 6 , pp 898-903
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO)
- Portal hemodynamics
- Doppler ultrasonography
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastroenterology, Funabashi Municipal Medical Center, Chiba, Japan
- 3. Department of Gastroenterology, Chiba University School of Medicine, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chuo-ku, Chiba, Chiba, 260-8677, Japan
- 2. Department of Medicine and Clinical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan