- Matej Štuhec PharmD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Agomelatine (AG) is a melatonin analogue which represents a novel class of antidepressants. It acts as an agonist at melatonin MT(1) and MT(2) receptors and as a specific antagonist at 5-HT(2C) receptors. It is rapidly absorbed orally and mainly metabolised via CYP1A2 hepatic isoenzymes, has no active metabolites and has an elimination half-life of 1–2 h. Although, AG is generally well-tolerated with low adverse event discontinuation rates, it currently requires monitoring of liver function because a small number of patients had raised liver enzyme activities in the trial program . Controlled studies in humans have shown that AG is as effective as the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants paroxetine and sertraline in the treatment of major depression . A review of the research studies conducted to April 2011 concludes that AG should only be considered as an alternative drug for patients who do not respond to or cannot tolerate other antidepressant ...
- Owen RT. Agomelatine: a novel pharmacological approach to treating depression. Drugs Today. 2009;45:599–608. CrossRef
- Kasper S, Hajak G, Wulff K, et al. Efficacy of the novel antidepressant agomelatine on the circadian rest-activity cycle and depressive and anxiety symptoms in patients with major depressive disorder: a randomized, double-blind comparison with sertraline. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:109–20. CrossRef
- Howland RH. A benefit-risk assessment of agomelatine in the treatment of major depression. Drug Saf. 2011;34:709–31. CrossRef
- Ostapowicz G, Fontana RJ, Schiodt FV, et al. Results of a prospective study of acute liver failure at 17 tertiary care centers in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2002;137:947–55. CrossRef
- Schumann G, Bonora R, Ceriotti F, et al. IFCC primary reference procedures for the measurement of catalytic activity concentrations of enzymes at 37 degrees C. International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Part 4. Reference procedure for the measurement of catalytic concentration of alanine aminotransferase. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2002;40:718–24.
- Schumann G, Bonora R, Ceriotti F, et al. IFCC primary reference procedures for the measurement of catalytic activity concentrations of enzymes at 37 degrees C. Part 3. Reference procedure for the measurement of catalytic concentration of lactate dehydrogenase. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2002;40:631–4.
- Zajecka J, Schatzberg A, Stahl S, et al. Efficacy and safety of agomelatine in the treatment of major depressive disorder: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010;30:135–44. CrossRef
- Rouillon F. Efficacy and tolerance profile of agomelatine and practical use in depressed patients. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006;21 Suppl 1:S31–5.
- De Berardis D, Serroni N, Marini S, et al. Agomelatine augmentation of escitalopram therapy in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: a case report. Case Rep Psychiatry. 2012;2012:642752.
- Müller H, Seifert F, Maler JM, et al. Agomelatine reduces craving in benzodiazepine addicts: a follow-up examination of three patients. Singapore Med J. 2012;53:e228–30.
- Agomelatine-induced hepatotoxicity
Wiener klinische Wochenschrift
Volume 125, Issue 7-8 , pp 225-226
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Psychiatric Hospital Ormoz, Ptujska Cesta 33, Ormoz, Slovenia