Alteration of tear cytokine balance by eye closure: analysis by multicytokine assay
To study the effects of eye closure on the balance of tear cytokines.
A total of 17 healthy volunteers with normal eyes were recruited. Tears (10 μl) were collected by capillary outflow at 09:00. The right eyes were closed with cotton bandages for 3 h, then tears were collected from each eye separately. The concentrations of inflammatory cytokines, interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, IL-12p70, and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α were measured by cytometric bead array.
Although the concentration of each cytokine varied between eyes, the increasing ratio for 3 h showed a similar pattern in each cytokine. IL-1β, IL-6, IL-10, IL-12p70, and TNF-α increased and IL-8 decreased in normal eyes. After eye closure, the increase of IL-10 significantly diminished (P=0.037); however, the other cytokines were not affected.
Eye closure decreased the concentration of IL-10 in tears, which might cause a potentially pro-inflammatory status of the ocular surface.
- Chen R, Lowe L, Wilson JD, Crowther E, Tzeggai K, Bishop JE, Varro R (1999) Simultaneous quantification of six human cytokines in a single sample using microparticle-based flow cytometric technology. Clin Chem 45:1693–1694
- Cook EB (2004) Tear cytokines in acute and chronic ocular allergic inflammation. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 4:441–445 CrossRef
- Khan SS, Smith MS, Reda D, Suffredini AF, McCoy JP Jr (2004) Multiplex bead array assays for detection of soluble cytokines: comparisons of sensitivity and quantitative values among kits from multiple manufacturers. Cytometry B Clin Cytom 61:35–39 CrossRef
- Petrovsky N, Harrison LC (1998) The chronobiology of human cytokine production. Int Rev Immunol 16:635–649 CrossRef
- Sack RA, Tan KO, Tan A (1992) Diurnal tear cycle: evidence for a nocturnal inflammatory constitutive tear fluid. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 33:626–640
- Sack RA, Conradi L, Krumholz D, Beaton A, Sathe S, Morris C (2005) Membrane array characterization of 80 chemokines, cytokines, and growth factors in open- and closed-eye tears: angiogenin and other defense system constituents. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:1228–1238 CrossRef
- Alteration of tear cytokine balance by eye closure: analysis by multicytokine assay
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 244, Issue 6 , pp 747-749
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors