Primary basal cell carcinoma of the caruncle with seeding to the conjunctiva
- Jens ØstergaardAffiliated withEye Pathology Institute, University of Copenhagen
- , Jannik Boberg-AnsAffiliated withDepartment of Ophthalmology, RAS
- , Jan Ulrik PrauseAffiliated withEye Pathology Institute, University of Copenhagen
- , Steffen HeegaardAffiliated withEye Pathology Institute, University of Copenhagen Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To report the clinical and histopathological characteristics of a patient with a primary basal cell carcinoma (BCC) of the caruncle with seeding of the tumour to the conjunctiva.
Surgical excision and histological examination.
A 60-year-old female presented with a lesion of the caruncle. Clinical examination revealed a pale lobulated tumour without skin involvement. Computer tomography scans showed orbital invasion. The tumour was excised. Three years later a small polypoid tumour developed in the inferior fornix of the same eye. Two and a half years later, the patient developed an orbital recurrence.
Microscopically, both neoplasms were composed of infiltrative islands of basaloid tumour cells, scattered mitoses and peripheral palisading consistent with the diagnosis of BCC.
This case describes a primary BCC of the caruncle with seeding to the conjunctiva.
- Primary basal cell carcinoma of the caruncle with seeding to the conjunctiva
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 243, Issue 6 , pp 615-618
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links