Lung function and breathing regulation parameters during pregnancy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The aim of this study was to evaluate the changes in lung function and breathing regulation parameters measured in women who did not suffer from any respiratory system disorders (in comparison with body mass index values obtained before pregnancy) in any particular trimester of pregnancy.
The study was carried out on 51 pregnant women aged 26.6±4.9 years and 40 healthy women (control group). Spirometry, flow-volume loop, respiratory resistance (RRS), and respiratory pattern were evaluated using computerized spirometer “Lungtest,” Poland. The examinations were performed in the first, second, and third trimesters of pregnancy.
The statistically significant differences during pregnancy were stated in cases of tidal volume (VT) and minute ventilation (MV) (whereas breath frequency was nearly on the same level), inspiratory drive (VT/T I) and also occlusion pressure (P 0.1), RRS, and peak expiratory flow (PEF). We observed a correlation between BMI at the baseline with P 0.1, MV, and VT/T I.
We conclude that BMI at the baseline seems to predict the increase in MV, occlusion pressure, and inspiratory drive. The fact that RRS values increase during pregnancy and both forced expiratory volume (FEV1) and FEV1% forced vital capacity (FVC) values remain at the same level may reflect the effect of the autonomous nervous system on the respiratory tract.
- Castro LC, Avina RL (2002) Maternal obesity and pregnancy outcomes. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 14:601–606
- Clapp JF, Seaward BL, Sleamaker RH, Hiser J (1988) Maternal physiologic adaptations to early human pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 159:1456–1460
- Clerici C (1999) Modifications of respiratory function during pregnancy. Rev Pneumol Clin 55:307–311
- Contreras G, Gutierrez M, Beroiza T, Fantin A, Oddo H, Villarroel L, Cruz E, Lisboa C (1991) Ventilatory drive and respiratory muscle function in pregnancy. Am Rev Respir Dis 144:837–841
- Eng M, Butler J, Bonica JJ (1975) Respiratory function in pregnant obese women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 123:241–245
- Galtier-Dereure F, Bringer J (2002) Obesity and pregnancy. Ann Endocrinol 63:470–475
- Garcia-Rio F, Pino JM, Gomez L, Alvares-Sala R, Villasante C, Villamor J (1996) Regulation of breathing and perception of dyspnea in healthy pregnant women. Chest 110:446–453
- Grio R, Popiglia M (1994) Obesity: internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecological problems relaed to overweight. Panminerva Med 36:138–141
- Kandys WM, Oleszczuk J (1999) Obesity as an obstetric risk factor. Pol Gynecol 70:465–471
- McAuliffe F, Kametas N, Costello J, Rafferty GF, Greenough A, Nicolaides K (2002) Respiratory function in singleton and twin pregnancy. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 109:765–769
- Milic-Emili J (1982) Recent advances in clinical assessment of control of breathing. Lung 160:1–9
- Milne J (1979) The respiratory response to pregnancy. Postgrad Med 55:318–324
- Mokkapatti R, Prasad EC, Fatima K (1999) Ventilatory function in pregnancy. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 35:237–240
- Oddoy A, Joschko K, Vogel J (1982) Respiratory resistance (Ros) and dynamic ventilation variables in pregnant women of different gestational age with healthy lungs. Zentralbl Gynakol 102:1270–1281
- Puranik BM, Kaore SB, Kurhade GA (1994) A longitudinal study of pulmonary function tests during pregnancy. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 38:129–132
- Rees GB, Pipkin FB, Symonds EM, Patrick JM (1990) A longitudinal study of respiratory changes in normal human pregnancy with cross-sectional data on subjects with pregnancy-induced hypertension. Am J Obstet Gynecol 162:826–830
- Sroczynski T (2002) Evaluation of respiratory tract function in healthy women in the last month of uncomplicated pregnancy. Ann Acad Med Stetin 48:331–350
- Whitelaw W, Derennne IPH, Milic-Emili J (1975) Occlusion pressure as a measure of respiratory center output in conscious man. Respir Physiol 23:181–189
- Lung function and breathing regulation parameters during pregnancy
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 272, Issue 1 , pp 53-58
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Body mass index
- Respiratory pattern
- Respiratory resistance
- Industry Sectors