The pia mater: a comprehensive review of literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The pia mater has received less attention in the literature compared to the dura and arachnoid maters. However, its presence as a direct covering of the nervous system and direct relation to the blood vessels gives it a special importance in neurosurgery.
A comprehensive review of the literature was conducted to study all that we could find relating to the pia mater, including history, macro- and microanatomy, embryology, and a full description of the related structures.
The pia mater has an important anatomic position, rich history, complicated histology and embryology, and a significant contribution to a number of other structures that may stabilize and protect the nervous system.
- The pia mater: a comprehensive review of literature
Child's Nervous System
Volume 29, Issue 10 , pp 1803-1810
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Pia mater
- Denticulate ligament
- Filum terminale
- Linea splendens
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Neurological Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, USA
- 2. Division of Neurological Surgery, The Children’s Hospital of Alabama, Birmingham, USA