Meandering of the Spiral Tip: An Alternative Approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Meandering of a one-armed spiral tip has been noted in chemical reactions and numerical simulations. Barkley, Kness, and Tuckerman show that meandering can begin by Hopf bifurcation from a rigidly rotating spiral wave (a point that is verified in a B-Z reaction by Li, Ouyang, Petrov, and Swinney). At the codimension-two point where (in an appropriate sense) the frequency at Hopf bifurcation equals the frequency of the spiral wave, Barkley notes that spiral tip meandering can turn to linearly translating spiral tip motion.
Barkley also presents a model showing that the linear motion of the spiral tip is a resonance phenomenon, and this point is verified experimentally by Li et al. and proved rigorously by Wulff. In this paper we suggest an alternative development of Barkley’s model extending the center bundle constructions of Krupa from compact groups to noncompact groups and from finite dimensions to function spaces. Our reduction works only under certain simplifying assumptions which are not valid for Euclidean group actions. Recent work of Sandstede, Scheel, and Wulff shows how to overcome these difficulties.
This approach allows us to consider various bifurcations from a rotating wave. In particular, we analyze the codimension-two Barkley bifurcation and the codimension-twoTakens-Bogdanovbifurcation froma rotatingwave.We alsodiscussHopf bifurcation from a many-armed spiral showing that meandering and resonant linear motion of the spiral tip do not always occur.
- D. Barkley. A model for fast computer-simulation of waves in excitable media. Physica D 49(1991) 61–70. CrossRef
- D. Barkley. Linear stability analysis of rotating spiral waves in excitable media. Phys. Rev. Lett. 68(1992) 2090–2093. CrossRef
- D. Barkley. Euclidean symmetry and the dynamics of rotating spiral waves. Phys. Rev. Lett. 72(1994) 165–167.
- D. Barkley, M. Kness, and L. S. Tuckerman. Spiral-wave dynamics in a simple model of excitable media: The transition from simple to compound rotation. Phys. Rev. A 42(1990) 2489–2492. CrossRef
- V. N. Biktashev, A. V. Holden, and E. V. Nikolaev. Spiral wave meander and symmetry in the plane. Int. J. Bifur. & Chaos 6 No. 12 (1996).
- B. Fiedler, B. Sandstede, A. Scheel, and C. Wulff. Bifurcation from relative equilibria of noncompact group actions: Skew products, meanders, and drifts. Documenta Math. 1(1996) 479–505.
- M. J. Field. Equivariant dynamical systems. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 259(1980) 185–205. CrossRef
- M. Golubitsky and I.N. Stewart. Hopf bifurcation in the presence of symmetry. Arch. Ratl. Mech. & Anal. 87 No. 2 (1985) 107–165. CrossRef
- J. Guckenheimer and P. Holmes. Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems, and Bifurcations of Vector Fields. Appl. Math Sci. 42, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1983.
- D. Henry. Geometric Theory of Semilinear Parabolic Equations. Lecture Notes in Math. 840, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1981.
- R. Kapral and K. Showalter. Chemical Waves and Patterns. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, 1995.
- M. Krupa. Bifurcations from relative equilibria. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 21(1990) 1453–1486. CrossRef
- W. Jahnke, W. E. Skaggs, and A. T. Winfree. Chemical vortex dynamics in the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction and in the two-variable Oregonator model. J. Phys. Chem. 93(1989) 740–749. CrossRef
- G. Li, Q. Ouyang, V. Petrov, and H. L. Swinney. Transition from simple rotating chemical spirals to meandering and traveling spirals. Phys. Rev. Lett. 77(1996) 2105–2108. CrossRef
- D. Rand. Dynamics and symmetry. Predictions for modulated waves in rotating fluids, Arch. Ratl. Mech. & Anal. 79(1982) 1–38. CrossRef
- M. Renardy. Bifurcation from rotating waves. Arch. Ratl. Mech. & Anal. 79(1982) 49–84.
- B. Sandstede, A. Scheel, and C. Wulff. Center-manifold reduction for spiral waves. C. R. Acad. Sci. To appear.
- B. Sandstede, A. Scheel, and C. Wulff. Dynamics of spiral waves in unbounded domains using center-manifold reductions. Preprint.
- A. Vanderbauwhede, M. Krupa, and M. Golubitsky. Secondary bifurcations in symmetric systems. In Proc. Equadiff Conference, 1987, (C. M. Dafermos, G. Ladas, and G. Papanicolaou, Eds.) Lect. Notes in Pure & Appl. Math. 118, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1989, 709–716.
- A.T. Winfree. Scroll-shaped waves of chemical activity in three dimensions, Science 181 (1973) 937–939. CrossRef
- C. Wulff. Theory of Meandering and Drifting Spiral Waves in Reaction-Diffusion Systems. Freie Universitä t Berlin, Thesis, 1996.
- Meandering of the Spiral Tip: An Alternative Approach
Journal of Nonlinear Science
Volume 7, Issue 6 , pp 557-586
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- spiral waves
- Euclidean symmetry
- meandering center bundle