Digital X-ray radiogrammetry of hand or wrist radiographs can predict hip fracture risk—a study in 5,420 women and 2,837 men
To assess whether digital X-ray radiogrammetry (DXR) analysis of standard clinical hand or wrist radiographs obtained at emergency hospitals can predict hip fracture risk.
A total of 45,538 radiographs depicting the left hand were gathered from three emergency hospitals in Stockholm, Sweden. Radiographs with insufficiently included metacarpal bone, fractures in measurement regions, foreign material or unacceptable positioning were manually excluded. A total of 18,824 radiographs from 15,072 patients were analysed with DXR, yielding a calculated BMD equivalent (DXR-BMD). Patients were matched with the national death and inpatient registers. Inclusion criteria were age ≥ 40 years, no prior hip fracture and observation time > 7 days. Hip fractures were identified via ICD-10 codes. Age-adjusted hazard ratio per standard deviation (HR/SD) was calculated using Cox regression.
8,257 patients (65.6 % female, 34.4 % male) met the inclusion criteria. One hundred twenty-two patients suffered a hip fracture after their radiograph. The fracture group had a significantly lower DXR-BMD than the non-fracture group when adjusted for age. The HR/SD for hip fracture was 2.52 and 2.08 in women and men respectively. The area under the curve was 0.89 in women and 0.84 in men.
DXR analysis of wrist and hand radiographs obtained at emergency hospitals predicts hip fracture risk in women and men.
• Digital X-ray radiogrammetry of emergency hand/wrist radiographs predicts hip fracture risk.
• Digital X-ray radiogrammetry (DXR) predicts hip fracture risk in both women and men.
• Osteoporosis can potentially be identified in patients with suspected wrist fractures.
• DXR can potentially be used for selective osteoporosis screening.
Institution from which the work originated
- Johnell, O, Kanis, J (2005) Epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 16: pp. S3-S7 CrossRef
- Nguyen, ND, Ahlborg, HG, Center, JR, Eisman, JA, Nguyen, TV (2007) Residual lifetime risk of fractures in women and men. J Bone Miner Res 22: pp. 781-788 CrossRef
- Body, JJ, Bergmann, P, Boonen, S (2011) Non-pharmacological management of osteoporosis: a consensus of the Belgian Bone Club. Osteoporos Int 22: pp. 2769-2788 CrossRef
- Rikkonen, T, Salovaara, K, Sirola, J (2010) Physical activity slows femoral bone loss but promotes wrist fractures in postmenopausal women: a 15-year follow-up of the OSTPRE study. J Bone Miner Res 25: pp. 2332-2340 CrossRef
- Bonaiuti D, Shea B, Iovine R et al (2002) Exercise for preventing and treating osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000333
- Gillespie Lesley D, Robertson MC, Gillespie William J et al (2009) Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007146.pub2
- O’Donnell S, Cranney A, Wells George A, Adachi J, Reginster J-Y (2006) Strontium ranelate for preventing and treating postmenopausal osteoporosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005326.pub3
- Wells George A, Cranney A, Peterson J et al (2008) Risedronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004523.pub3
- Wells George A, Cranney A, Peterson J et al (2008) Etidronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD003376.pub3
- Favus, MJ (2010) Bisphosphonates for osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 363: pp. 2027-2035 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, Bates, D, Black, DM (2002) Clinical use of bone densitometry. JAMA 288: pp. 1889-1897 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, Nevitt, MC, Browner, WS (1995) Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. N Engl J Med 332: pp. 767-774 CrossRef
- Johnell, O, Kanis, JA, Oden, A (2005) Predictive value of BMD for hip and other fractures. J Bone Miner Res 20: pp. 1185-1194 CrossRef
- Kanis, J, Oden, A, Johnell, O (2007) The use of clinical risk factors enhances the performance of BMD in the prediction of hip and osteoporotic fractures in men and women. Osteoporos Int 18: pp. 1033-1046 CrossRef
- Schott, AM, Cormier, C, Hans, D (1998) How hip and whole-body bone mineral density predict hip fracture in elderly women: the EPIDOS prospective study. Osteoporos Int 8: pp. 247-254 CrossRef
- Ismail, AA, Pye, SR, Cockerill, WC (2002) Incidence of limb fracture across Europe: results from the European Prospective Osteoporosis Study (EPOS). Osteoporos Int 13: pp. 565-571 CrossRef
- Hayes, BL, Curtis, JR, Laster, A (2010) Osteoporosis care in the United States after declines in reimbursements for DXA. J Clin Densitom 13: pp. 352-360 CrossRef
- Lewiecki, E, Baim, S, Siris, E (2008) Osteoporosis care at risk in the United States. Osteoporos Int 19: pp. 1505-1509 CrossRef
- Cadarette, SM, Gignac, MAM, Jaglal, SB, Beaton, DE, Hawker, GA (2007) Access to osteoporosis treatment is critically linked to access to dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry testing. Med Care 45: pp. 896-901 CrossRef
- Curtis, J, Laster, A, Becker, D (2009) The geographic availability and associated utilization of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) testing among older persons in the United States. Osteoporos Int 20: pp. 1553-1561 CrossRef
- DÌaz Curiel, M, Carbonell, C, Quesada Lopez, JM (2008) Osteoporosis in Spain: map of resources for diagnosing. J Clin Densitom 11: pp. 561-567 CrossRef
- Nayak, S, Roberts, M, Greenspan, S (2009) Factors associated with osteoporosis screening and recommendations for osteoporosis screening in older adults. J Gen Intern Med 24: pp. 585-591 CrossRef
- Rosholm, A, Hyldstrup, L, Bæksgaard, L, Grunkin, M, Thodberg, HH (2001) Estimation of bone mineral density by digital X-ray radiogrammetry: theoretical background and clinical testing. Osteoporos Int 12: pp. 961-969 CrossRef
- Jørgensen, JT, Andersen, PB, Rosholm, A, Bjarnason, NH (2000) Digital X-ray radiogrammetry: a new appendicular bone densitometric method with high precision. Clin Physiol 20: pp. 330-335 CrossRef
- Black, DM, Palermo, L, Sørensen, T (2001) A normative reference database study for pronosco X-posure system(TM). J Clin Densitom 4: pp. 5-12 CrossRef
- Hyldstrup, L, Nielsen, SP (2001) Metacarpal index by digital X-ray radiogrammetry: normative reference values and comparison with dual X-ray absorptiometry. J Clin Densitom 4: pp. 299-306 CrossRef
- Bousson, VD, Adams, J, Engelke, K (2011) In vivo discrimination of hip fracture with quantitative computed tomography: results from the prospective European Femur Fracture Study (EFFECT). J Bone Miner Res 26: pp. 881-893 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, Browner, W, Black, DM (1993) Bone density at various sites for prediction of hip fractures. Lancet 341: pp. 72-75 CrossRef
- Marshall, D, Johnell, O, Wedel, H (1996) Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 312: pp. 1254-1259 CrossRef
- Kanis, JA, Johansson, H, Oden, A, McCloskey, EV (2009) Assessment of fracture risk. Eur J Radiol 71: pp. 392-397 CrossRef
- Bouxsein, ML, Palermo, L, Yeung, C, Black, DM (2002) Digital X-ray radiogrammetry predicts hip, wrist and vertebral fracture risk in elderly women: a prospective analysis from the study of osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 13: pp. 358-365 CrossRef
- Bach-Mortensen, P, Hyldstrup, L, Appleyard, M, Hindsø, K, Gebuhr, P, Sonne-Holm, S (2006) Digital X-ray radiogrammetry identifies women at risk of osteoporotic fracture: results from a prospective study. Calcif Tissue Int 79: pp. 1-6 CrossRef
- Lauritzen, JB, Schwarz, P, McNair, P, Lund, B, Transbøl, I (1993) Radial and humeral fractures as predictors of subsequent hip, radial or humeral fractures in women, and their seasonal variation. Osteoporos Int 3: pp. 133-137 CrossRef
- Mallmin, H, Ljunghall, S, Persson, I, Naessén, T, Krusemo, U-B, Bergström, R (1993) Fracture of the distal forearm as a forecaster of subsequent hip fracture: a population-based cohort study with 24 years of follow-up. Calcif Tissue Int 52: pp. 269-272 CrossRef
- Earnshaw, SA, Cawte, SA, Worley, A, Hosking, DJ (1998) Colles’ fracture of the wrist as an indicator of underlying osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: a prospective study of bone mineral density and bone turnover rate. Osteoporos Int 8: pp. 53-60 CrossRef
- Haentjens, P, Johnell, O, Kanis, JA (2004) Evidence from data searches and life-table analyses for gender-related differences in absolute risk of hip fracture after Colles’ or spine fracture: Colles’ fracture as an early and sensitive marker of skeletal fragility in white men. J Bone Miner Res 19: pp. 1933-1944 CrossRef
- Wright, NC, Lisse, JR, Walitt, BT, Eaton, CB, Chen, Z (2011) Arthritis increases the risk for fractures—results from the women’s health initiative. J Rheumatol 38: pp. 1680-1688 CrossRef
- El Maghraoui, A, Rezqi, A, Mounach, A, Achemlal, L, Bezza, A, Ghozlani, I (2010) Prevalence and risk factors of vertebral fractures in women with rheumatoid arthritis using vertebral fracture assessment. Rheumatology 49: pp. 1303-1310 CrossRef
- Clinician’s guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. National Osteoporosis Foundation, Washington, DC
- Cummings, SR, Martin, JS, McClung, MR (2009) Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 756-765 CrossRef
- Black, DM, Delmas, PD, Eastell, R (2007) Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 356: pp. 1809-1822 CrossRef
- Hardyck, C, Petrinovich, LF (1977) Left-handedness. Psychol Bull 84: pp. 385-404 CrossRef
- Kvalitet och innehåll i patientregistret—Utskrivningar från slutenvården 1964–2007 och besök i specialiserad öppenvård (exklusive primärvårdsbesök) 1997–2007. Socialstyrelsen, Stockholm
- Digital X-ray radiogrammetry of hand or wrist radiographs can predict hip fracture risk—a study in 5,420 women and 2,837 men
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 1383-1391
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hip fracture
- Digital X-ray radiogrammetry
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Karolinska Institutet, Department for Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Division of Radiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
- 6. Frejgatan 34, 113 26, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2. Sectra Imtec AB, Linköping, Sweden
- 3. Centre for Medical Image Science and Visualization (CMIV), Linköping University, Linköping, Sweden
- 4. Department of Medicine Solna, Unit of Clinical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
- 5. Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Islamic Republic of Iran