Severe infectious complications in a patient treated with rituximab for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Rituximab has been recently employed in the treatment of patients with refractory chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). Rarely, infectious complications due to rituximab treatment in chronic ITP are registered [1, 2].
In a 39-year-old immunocompetent man, after treatment with Clopidogrel for an acute coronary syndrome, diagnosis of ITP [platelet count (Plt) 59 × 109/l] was established on April 2003. He did not receive any treatment for more than 1 year due to Plt > 30 × 109/l. In January 2005, he presented a progressive reduction of Plt until 13 × 109/l and gingival bleeding; he started treatment with high-dose dexamethasone 40 mg p.o. pulsed for 4 days every 2 weeks , obtaining after three courses a partial response (Plt between 30 and 50 × 109).
In June 2005, Plt dropped to 23 × 109/l. Low doses of prednisone p.o. (10 mg every other day) was started, achieving a Plt > 30 × 109/l. On November 2005, because of unstable Plt, the patient was candidate to a secon ...
- Cooper N, Stasi R, Cunningham-Rundles S, Feuerstein MA, Leonard JP, Amadori S, Bussel JB (2004) The efficacy and safety of B-cell depletion with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody in adults with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 125:232–239 CrossRef
- Bennett CM, Rogers ZR, Kinnamon DD, Bussel JB, Mahoney DH, Abshire TC, Sawaf H, Moore TB, Loh ML, Glader BE, McCarthy MC, Mueller BU, Olson, TA, Lorenzana AN, Mentzer WC, Buchanan GR, Feldman HA, Neufeld EJ (2006) Prospective phase I/II study of rituximab in childhood and adolescent chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 107:2639–2642 CrossRef
- Mazzucconi MG, Bernasconi S, Fazi P, Amendola A, De Rossi G, Baronci C, Leone G, Carbone C, Vinelli N, Quattrin S, Fioritoni G, Gugliotta L, Mandelli F, for the GIMEMA Cooperative ITP Study Group (2004) Therapy with high-dose dexamethasone (HD-DXM) in previously untreated patients affected by idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Haematologica 89(Suppl 8):78 (abstract)
- Apostolidis J, Tsandekidi M, Kousiafes D, Pagoni M, Mitsouli C, Karmiris T, Bakiri M, Karakasis D, Harhalakis N, Nikiforakis E (2001) Short-course corticosteroid-induced pulmonary and apparent cerebral aspergillosis in a patient with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 98:2875–2877 CrossRef
- Fianchi L, Picardi M, Cudillo L, Corvatta L, Mele L, Trape G, Girmenia C, Pagano L (2004) Aspergillus niger infection in patients with haematological diseases: a report of eight cases. Mycoses 47:163–167 CrossRef
- Severe infectious complications in a patient treated with rituximab for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
Annals of Hematology
Volume 86, Issue 3 , pp 225-226
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Istituto di Ematologia, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Largo A. Gemelli, 8-00168, Rome, Italy
- 2. Istituto di Malattie Infettive, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy