Outlining of the detailed structures in sectioned images from Visible Korean
- Dong Sun ShinAffiliated withDepartment of Anatomy, Ajou University School of Medicine
- , Jin Seo ParkAffiliated withDepartment of Anatomy, Dongguk University College of Medicine
- , Hyo Seok ParkAffiliated withDepartment of Anatomy, Dongguk University College of Medicine
- , Sung Bae HwangAffiliated withDepartment of Physical Therapy, Kyungbuk College
- , Min Suk ChungAffiliated withDepartment of Anatomy, Ajou University School of Medicine Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sectioned images of cadavers enable creation of realistic three-dimensional (3D) models. In order to build a 3D model of a structure, the structure has to be outlined in the sectioned images. The outlining process is time consuming; therefore, users want to be provided with outlined images. The more detailed structures are outlined, the greater potential for wider application of the outlined images.
In the Visible Korean, sectioned images (intervals 0.2 mm) of the entire body of a male cadaver were prepared. In the available 1,702 sectioned images (intervals 1 mm), 937 structures were outlined over a period of 8 years. The outlined images were altered to black-filled images for each structure; black-filled images were selected for distribution in order to maintain small file sizes.
We attempted to determine whether black-filled images could be used in various situations. The outlines of these images were interpolated for production of new images at 0.2 mm intervals. The outlines were then filled with different colors for construction of color-filled images of all structures. Volume and surface reconstructions of the black-filled images were executed in order to build volume and surface models.
The black-filled images with corresponding sectioned images presented here are the source of realistic 3D models for use in medical simulation systems.
KeywordsVisible Human Projects Cadaver Frozen sections Computer-assisted image processing Three-dimensional imaging
- Outlining of the detailed structures in sectioned images from Visible Korean
Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 235-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Visible Human Projects
- Frozen sections
- Computer-assisted image processing
- Three-dimensional imaging
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anatomy, Ajou University School of Medicine, Worldcup-ro 164, Suwon, 443-749, Republic of Korea
- 2. Department of Anatomy, Dongguk University College of Medicine, 707 Seokjang-dong, Gyeongju, 780-714, Republic of Korea
- 3. Department of Physical Therapy, Kyungbuk College, Youngju, 750-712, Republic of Korea