Uterine Artery Embolization versus Myomectomy: Impact on Quality of Life—Results of the FUME (Fibroids of the Uterus: Myomectomy versus Embolization) Trial
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study was designed to compare quality of life (QoL) outcomes after uterine artery embolization (UAE) or myomectomy.
Women with symptomatic fibroids diagnosed by ultrasound who wished to preserve their uterus were randomized to myomectomy (n = 81) or UAE (n = 82). Endpoints at 1 year were QoL measured by a validated questionnaire, hospital stay, rates of complications, and need for reintervention.
UAE patients had shorter hospitalization (2 vs. 6 days, p < 0.001). By 1 year postintervention, significant and equal improvements in QoL scores had occurred in both groups (myomectomy n = 59; UAE n = 61). There had been two (2.9%) major complications among UAE versus 6 (8%) among myomectomy patients (not significant). By 2 years, among UAE patients (n = 57) there were eight (14.0%) reinterventions for inadequate symptom control compared with one (2.7%) among myomectomy patients (n = 37). Half of the women who required hysterectomy had concomitant adenomyosis missed by US.
UAE and myomectomy both result in significant and equal improvements in QoL. UAE allows a shorter hospital stay and fewer major complications but with a higher rate of reintervention.
- Uterine Artery Embolization versus Myomectomy: Impact on Quality of Life—Results of the FUME (Fibroids of the Uterus: Myomectomy versus Embolization) Trial
CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 530-536
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Quality of life
- Uterine artery embolization
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gynaecology, St. George’s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QT, UK
- 2. Department of Radiology, St. George’s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QT, UK
- 3. University of Sussex, School of Psychology, Pevensey 1, Room 1C9, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QH, UK