The Blood Supply to the Nipple-Areola Complex of the Human Mammary Gland
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The main sources of blood supply to the breast are described in textbooks as the internal thoracic, lateral thoracic, and posterior intercostal arteries. Textbooks, however, do not describe the contribution of each to the nippie-areoia complex (NAC), nor do they describe the pattern of supply.
To investigate this issue, 15 female cadavers were injected intraarterially with latex, and dissections were performed on 27 breasts.
The results were as follows:
In all the dissected breasts (27/27), the NAC received at least one or more vessels from the internal thoracic artery.
In 20 of 27 dissected breasts, the NAC received vessels from the anterior intercostal arteries,
In 19 of the 27 dissected breasts, the NAC received vessels from the lateral thoracic artery.
Direct branches from the axillary artery supplied the NAC in 2 of the 27 breasts.
The posterior intercostal arteries supplied the NAC in only 1 of the 27 dissected breasts.
An underlying segmental pattern could be detected that can be explained by the embryological development. According to this study, the internal thoracic arteries are to be considered the main and constantly reliable source of blood supply to the NAC.
- Anson, BJ, Wright, RR, Wolfer, JH (1939) Blood supply of the mammary gland. Surg Gynecol Obstet 69: pp. 468-473
- Blondeel, PN, Mostapha, H, Sijpe, KA, Koen, HI, Landuyt, FEF, Monstrey, TSJM (2003) The laterocentral glandular technique for breast reduction. Br J Plast Surg 56: pp. 348-359 CrossRef
- Cardenas-Camarena, L, Vergara, R (2001) Reduction mammaplasty with superolateral dermoglandular pedicle: Another alternative. Plast Reconstr Surg 107: pp. 693-699 CrossRef
- Cunningham, L (1977) The anatomyof the arteries and veins of the breast. J Surg Oncol 9: pp. 71-85
- Maliniac, JW (1943) Arterial blood supply of the breast. Arch Surg 47: pp. 329-343
- Manchot, C. (1889) Die hautarfloren des mensilichen komparses. Leipzig: Vozel, F.C.W.
- Manderkas, AD, Zambacos, GJ, Anastasopoulos, A, Hanpes, DA (1966) Reduction mammaplasty with the inferior pedicle technique: Early and late complications in 371 patients. Br J plast Surg 49: pp. 442-446 CrossRef
- Marcus, GH (1934) Untersuchungen uber die arterielle Blutversorgung der Mamilla. Arch Klin Chir 179: pp. 361-369
- Moore, KL (1977) The developing human. Philadelphia, WB Saunders
- Nahabedian, NY, McGibbon, BM, Manson, PN (2000) Medial pedicle reduction for severe mammary hypertrophy. Plast Recons Surg 105: pp. 896-904 CrossRef
- Nakajima, H, Imanishi, N, Aiso, S (1995) Arterial anatomy of the nipple-areola complex. Plast Reconstr Surg 96: pp. 843-845
- Palmer, JH, Taylor, GI (1986) The vascular territories of the anterior chest wall. Br J Plast Surg 39: pp. 287-299
- Thompsett, DH (1970) Anatomical techniques. E & S Livingstone: Edinburgh and London pp: pp. 22-25
- Wuringer, E, Mader, N, Posch, E, Holle, J (1998) Nerve and vessel supplying ligamentous suspension of the mammary gland. Plast Reconstr Surg 101: pp. 1486-1493
- The Blood Supply to the Nipple-Areola Complex of the Human Mammary Gland
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 393-398
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Blood supply
- Mammary gland
- Nipple-areola complex
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anatomy, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, South Africa