March 2008, Volume 57, Issue 3, pp 285-288,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Date: 25 Aug 2007
Toward the harmonization of immune monitoring in clinical trials: Quo vadis?
C. M. Britten and S. Janetzki both authors contributed equally to this work.
This commentary refers to the two original articles “The CIMT-Monitoring panel: A two-step approach to harmonize the enumeration of antigen-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes by structural and functional assays” by C. M. Britten et al. and “Results and Harmonization Guidelines from two large-scale international Elispot proficiency panels conducted by the Cancer Vaccine Consortium (CVC/SVI)” by S. Janetzki et al.
- Romero, P, Cerottini, JC, Speiser, DE (2004) Monitoring tumor antigen specific T-cell responses in cancer patients and phase I clinical trials of peptide-based vaccination. Cancer Immunol Immunother 53: pp. 249 CrossRef
- Rosenberg, SA, Yang, JC, Restifo, NP (2004) Cancer immunotherapy: moving beyond current vaccines. Nat Med 10: pp. 909 CrossRef
- Hoos, A, Parmiani, G, Hege, K, Sznol, M, Loibner, H, Eggermont, A, Urba, W, Blumenstein, B, Sacks, N, Keilholz, U, Nichol, G (2007) Cancer vaccine clinical trial working groupA clinical development paradigm for cancer vaccines and related biologics. J Immunother 30: pp. 1 CrossRef
- Cox, JH, Ferrari, G, Kalams, SA, Lopaczynski, W, Oden, N, D’Souza, MP (2005) Elispot collaborative study group results of an ELISPOT proficiency panel conducted in 11 laboratories participating in international human immunodeficiency virus type 1 vaccine trials. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21: pp. 68 CrossRef
- Janetzki, S, Cox, JH, Oden, N, Ferrari, G (2005) Standardization and validation issues of the ELISPOT assay. Methods Mol Biol 302: pp. 51
- Hanekom WA, Dockrell HM, Ottenhoff THM, Doherty TM, Fletcher H, McShane H, Weichold FF, Hoft DF, Parida SK, Fruth UJ (2007) Immunological outcomes of novel TB vaccine trials: WHO panel recommendations (submitted)
- Speiser, DE, Pittet, MJ, Guillaume, P, Lubenow, N, Hoffman, E, Cerottini, JC, Romero, P (2004) Ex vivo analysis of human antigen-specific CD8+ T-cell responses: quality assessment of fluorescent HLA-A2 multimer and interferon-gamma ELISPOT assays for patient immune monitoring. J Immunother 27: pp. 298 CrossRef
- Comin-Anduix, B, Gualberto, A, Glaspy, JA, Seja, E, Ontiveros, M, Reardon, DL, Renteria, R, Englahner, B, Economou, JS, Gomez-Navarro, J, Ribas, A (2006) Definition of an immunologic response using the major histocompatibility complex tetramer and enzyme-linked immunospot assays. Clin Cancer Res 12: pp. 107 CrossRef
- Britten CM, Gouttefangeas C, Schoenmaekers-Welters MJP, Pawelec G, Koch S, Ottensmeier C, Mander A, Walter S, Paschen A, Müller-Berghaus J, Haas I, Mackensen A, Køllgaard T, Thor Straten P, Schmitt M, Giannopoulos K, Maier R, Veelken H, Bertinetti C, Konur A, Huber C, Stevanović S, Wölfel T, Van der Burg SH (2007) The CIMT-Monitoring panel: A two-step approach to harmonize the enumeration of antigen-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes by structural and functional assays. Cancer Immunol Immunother. doi:10.1007/s00262-007-0378-0
- Janetzki S, Panageas KS, Ben-Porat L, Boyer J, Britten CM, Clay TM, Kalos M, Maecker HT, Romero P, Yuan J, Kast WA, Hoos A, for the Elispot proficiency panel of the CVC immune assay working group (2007) Results and harmonization guidelines from two large-scale international Elispot proficiency panels conducted by the Cancer Vaccine Consortium (CVC/SVI) Cancer Immunol Immunother. doi:10.1007/s00262-007-0380-6
- Scheibenbogen, C, Romero, P, Rivoltini, L, Herr, W, Schmittel, A, Cerottini, JC, Wölfel, T, Eggermont, AM, Keilholz, U (2000) Quantitation of antigen-reactive T cells in peripheral blood by IFNgamma-ELISPOT assay and chromium-release assay: a four-centre comparative trial. J Immunol Methods 244: pp. 81 CrossRef
- Keilholz, U, Weber, J, Finke, JH, Gabrilovich, DI, Kast, WM, Disis, ML, Kirkwood, JM, Scheibenbogen, C, Schlom, J, Maino, VC, Lyerly, HK, Lee, PP, Storkus, W, Marincola, F, Worobec, A, Atkins, MB (2002) Immunologic monitoring of cancer vaccine therapy: results of a workshop sponsored by the Society for Biological Therapy. J Immunother 25: pp. 97 CrossRef
- Toward the harmonization of immune monitoring in clinical trials: Quo vadis?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy
Volume 57, Issue 3 , pp 285-288
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Immunohaematology and Blood Transfusion, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 2. ZellNet Consulting, Inc., Fort Lee, NJ, USA
- 3. Department of Clinical Oncology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 4. Department of Immunology, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
- 5. Bristol-Myers Squibb, Wallingford, CT, USA