Pretargeting in tumored mice with radiolabeled morpholino oligomer showing low kidney uptake
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have recently shown that accumulation in mouse kidneys of technetium-99m labeled phosphorodiamidate morpholinos (MORFs) increases with the number of cytosines in the base sequence. To improve tumor/kidney ratios in tumored mice, pretargeting studies were performed with a cytosine-free MORF. An 18-mer MORF (5′-TCTTCTACTTCACAACTA) was conjugated to the anti-CEA antibody MN14 (Immunomedics) and administered to nude mice bearing LS174T tumors. Thereafter, the 99mTc-labeled cytosine-free cMORF (5′-TAGTTGTGAAGTAGAAGA-amide-MAG3) was administered. For comparison, the identical study was repeated but with our original pair of 18-mer MORFs (5′-GGGTGTACGTCACAACTA-conjugated MN14 and 99mTc-labeled 5′-TAGTTGTGACGTACACCC-amide-MAG3). Surface plasmon resonance was used to show that the hybridization affinities of the original and the modified pair of MORFs were essentially equal. Hybridization of the cytosine-free cMORF-99mTc to MN14-MORF was demonstrated in vitro by size-exclusion high-performance liquid chromatography. At 3 h, kidney levels in normal mice were 2.0%ID/organ for the modified cMORF vs. 4.1%ID/organ for the original cMORF sequence, while at 24 h, these values were 0.9% vs 1.8%ID/organ. Pretargeting studies in tumored mice receiving 25 μg of conjugated antibody, 0.5 μg of labeled cMORF 48 h later, followed by imaging and sacrifice at 3 h showed that kidney levels were reduced using the cytosine-free cMORF. Moreover, tumor accumulation was about 3.6%ID/g and was independent of sequence. The whole-body images clearly reflected the improved tumor to kidney ratios. By choosing a cytosine-free base sequence for pretargeting studies, kidney accumulation of cMORF-99mTc was reduced without adversely influencing tumor accumulation. The lowering of kidney radioactivity levels in this way may be important to reduce toxicity to this organ in connection with pretargeting radiotherapy studies.
- Goodwin DA, Meares CF, McTigue M, et al. Rapid localization of haptens in sites containing previously administered antibody for immunoscintigraphy with short half-life tracers [abstract]. J Nucl Med. 1986; 27:959.
- Hnatowich DJ, Virzi F, Rusckowski M. Investigations of avidin and biotin for imaging applications. J Nucl Med 1987; 28:1294–1302.
- Kuijpers WH, Bos ES, Kaspersen FM, Veeneman GH, van Boeckel CA. Specific recognition of antibody-oligonucleotide conjugates by radiolabeled antisense nucleotides: a novel approach for two-step radioimmunotherapy of cancer. Bioconjug Chem 1993; 4:94–102.
- Summerton J, Weller D. Morpholino antisense oligomers: design, preparation, and properties. Antisense Nucleic Acid Drug Dev 1997; 7:187–195.
- Mang’era KO, Liu G, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Liu N, Gupta S, Rusckowski M, Hnatowitch DJ. Initial investigations of 99mTc-labeled morpholinos for radiopharmaceutical applications. Eur J Nucl Med 2001; 28:1682–1689. CrossRef
- Liu G, Mang’era K, Liu N, Gupta S, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. Tumor pretargeting in mice using 99mTc-labeled morpholino, a DNA analog. J Nucl Med 2002; 43:384–391.
- Liu G, Liu C, Zhang S, He J, Liu N, Gupta S, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. Investigations of technetium-99m morpholino pretargeting in mice. Nucl Med Commun 2003; 24:697–705. CrossRef
- Liu G, Zhang S, He J, Liu N, Gupta S, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. The influence of chain length and base sequence on the pharmacokinetic behavior of 99mTc-morpholinos in mice. Q J Nucl Med 2002; 46:233–243.
- Liu G, He J, Zhang S, Liu C, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. Cytosine residues influence kidney accumulations of 99mTc-labeled morpholino oligomers. Antisense Nucleic Acid Drug Dev 2002; 12:393–398. CrossRef
- Winnard P Jr, Chang F, Rusckowski M, Mardirossian G, Hnatowich DJ. Preparation and use of NHS-MAG3 for technetium-99m labeling of DNA. Nucl Med Biol 1997; 24:425–432. CrossRef
- Wang Y, Chang F, Zhang Y, Liu N, Liu G, Gupta S, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. Pretargeting with amplification using polymeric peptide nucleic acid. Bioconjug Chem. 2001; 12:807–816.
- He J, Liu G, Zhang S, Vanderheyden J-L, Liu N, Liu C, Zhang Y, Gupta S, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. A comparison of in vitro and in vivo stability in mice of two morpholino duplexes differing in chain length. Bioconjug Chem 2003, 14:1018–1023.
- Liu G, Zhang S, He J, Zhu Z, Rusckowski M, Hnatowich DJ. Improving the labeling of S-acetyl NHS-MAG3 conjugated morpholino oligomers. Bioconjug Chem 2002; 13:893–897. CrossRef
- Behr TM, Sharkey RM, Sgouros G, Blumenthal RD, Dunn RM, Kolbert K, Griffiths GL, Siegel JA, Becker WS, Goriginalenberg DM. Overcoming the nephrotoxicity of radiometal-labeled immunoconjugates. Cancer 1997; 80:2591s–2610s. CrossRef
- Kim I, Kobayashi H, Yoo TM, Kim M, Le N, Han E, Wang Q-C, Pastan I, Carrasquillo JA, Paik CH. Lowering of pI by acylation improves the renal uptake of 99mTc-labeled anti-Tac dsFv: effect of different acylating reagents. Nucl Med Biol 2002; 29:795–801. CrossRef
- Kobayashi H, Yoo TM, Kim IS, Kim MK, Le N, Webber KO, Pastan I, Paik CH, Eckelman WC, Carrasquillo JA. L-lysine effectively blocks renal uptake of 125I- or 99mTc-labeled anti-Tac disulfide-stabilized Fv fragment. Cancer Res 1996; 56:3788–3795.
- Bernard BF, Krenning EP, Breeman WA, Rolleman EJ, Bakker WH, Visser TJ, Macke H, De Jong M. D-lysine reduction of indium-111 octreotide and yttrium-90 octreotide renal uptake. J Nucl Med 1997; 38:1929–1933.
- Behr TM, Becker WS, Sharkey RM, Juweid ME, Dunn RM, Bair HJ, Wolf FG, Goldenberg DM. Reduction of renal uptake of monoclonal antibody fragments by amino acid infusion. J Nucl Med 1996; 37:829–833.
- Behr TM, Sharkey RM, Juweid ME, Blumenthal RD, Dunn RM, Griffiths GL, Bair HJ, Wolf FG, Becker WS, Goldenberg DM. Reduction of the renal uptake of radiolabeled monoclonal antibody fragments by cationic amino acids and their derivatives. Cancer Res 1995; 55:3825–3834.
- Rustom R, Maltby P, Grime JS, Stockdale HR, Critchley M, Bone JM. Effects of lysine infusion on the renal metabolism of aprotinin (Trasylol) in man. Clin Sci (Lond) 1992; 83:295–299.
- Pretargeting in tumored mice with radiolabeled morpholino oligomer showing low kidney uptake
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 417-424
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Morpholino oligomer
- Tumor imaging
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655-0243, USA