Ossifying chondroid lipoma
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Chondroid lipoma is a rare variant of lipoma that pathologically can mimic liposarcoma or possibly other sarcomas. Variants of lipoma, including chondroid lipoma, may demonstrate radiological evidence of fat within the tumor, but often display heterogeneous features on imaging studies, making a clinical diagnosis difficult. A large collective experience with the imaging characteristics of chondroid lipoma is lacking due to the rarity of this tumor. We present a case of chondroid lipoma of the upper thigh in a 37-year-old woman who had regions of metaplastic bone formation within the tumor. Radiologically, the tumor presented as a large soft tissue mass with calcification and ossification. Although metaplastic bone formation in conventional lipoma is well described, it has been rarely reported to occur in chondroid lipoma and has not been pathologically documented or illustrated. The imaging findings and histopathology of this unusual tumor are presented, along with a review of the literature.
- Weiss SW, Goldblum JR. Benign lipomatous tumors and liposarcoma. In: Weiss SW, Goldblum JR, editors. Enzinger and Weiss’s soft tissue tumors. St. Louis: Mosby; 2001. p. 571–694.
- Arkun R, Memis A, Akalin T, et al. Liposarcoma of soft tissue: MRI findings and pathologic correlation. Skeletal Radiol 1997; 26: 167–172. CrossRef
- Kim JY, Park JM, Lim GY, et al. Atypical benign lipomatous tumors in the soft tissue: radiographic and pathologic correlation. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2002; 26: 1063–1068. CrossRef
- Logan PM, Janzen DL, O’Connell JX, Munk PL, Connell DG. Chondroid lipoma: MRI appearances with clinical and histologic correlation. Skeletal Radiol 1996; 25: 592–595. CrossRef
- Meis JM, Enzinger FM. Chondroid lipoma. A unique tumor simulating liposarcoma and myxoid chondrosarcoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1993; 17: 1103–1112. CrossRef
- Nielsen GP, O’Connell JX, Dickerson GR, Rosenberg AE. Chondroid lipoma, a tumor of white fat cells. A brief report of two cases with ultrastructural analysis. Am J Surg Pathol 1995; 19: 1272–1276. CrossRef
- Lakshmiah SR, Scott KWM, Whear NM, Monogham A. Chondroid lipoma: a rare but diagnostically important lesion. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000; 29: 445–446. CrossRef
- Gomez-Ortega JM, Rodila IG, Basco Lopez de Lerma JM. Chondroid lipoma. A newly described lesion that may be mistaken for malignancy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1996; 81: 586–589. CrossRef
- Boets A, Van Mieghem IS, Sciot R, Van Breuseghem I. Chondroid lipoma of the trunk: MRI appearance and pathologic correlation. Skeletal Radiol 2004; 33: 666–669. CrossRef
- Green RAR, Cannon SR, Flanagan AM. Chondroid lipoma: correlation of imaging findings and histopathology of an unusual benign lesion. Skeletal Radiol 2004; 33: 670–673. CrossRef
- Yang YJ, Damron TA, Ambrose JL. Diagnosis of chondroid lipoma by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2001; 125: 1224–1226.
- Hyzy MD, Hogendoorn PCW, Bloem, DE Schepper AM. Chondroid lipoma: findings on radiography and MRI. Eur Radiol 2006; 16: 2373–2376. CrossRef
- Ballaux F, Debiec-Rychter M, Wever ID, Sciot R. Chondroid lipoma is characterized by t(11:16)(q13;p12-13). Virchows Arch 2004; 444: 208–210. CrossRef
- Murphey MD, Carroll JF, Flemming DJ, Pope Tl, et al. Benign musculoskeletal lipomatous lesions. Radiographics 2004; 24: 1433–1466. CrossRef
- Ossifying chondroid lipoma
Volume 37, Issue 5 , pp 475-480
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, P.O. Box 1194, One Gastave L. Levy Place, New York, NY, 07422, USA
- 2. Department of Radiology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, P.O. Box 1194, One Gastave L. Levy Place, New York, NY, 07422, USA
- 3. Department of Pathology, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL, USA
- 4. Department of Radiology, Coney Island Hospital affiliated with CUNY Downstate School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA