MRI criteria for patella alta and baja
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine the range of the patellar tendon length to patellar length ratio on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the knee in order to aid in the establishment of MRI criteria for patella alta and baja.
Two hundred and forty-five patients ages 6–85 (mean 44) years who went through 262 consecutive 1.5 MRI studies of the knee performed during November 2000 through February 2001 were evaluated, regardless of their clinical symptoms.
Patellar length (PL) and patellar tendon length (TL) were measured by a single musculoskeletal radiologist on sagittal images by a line connecting the superior and inferior patellar poles and the shortest length of the inner margin of the tendon respectively. TL/PL ratio was subsequently calculated. The distribution of ratios was evaluated; the extreme 2.5% at each end of the distribution was defined as patella alta and baja.
The TL/PL ratio ranged between 0.56 and 1.71 (mean 1.05). After plotting the ratios, we noted an asymmetric curve skewed to the left. Based upon calculation of the extreme 2.5% of the ratio at each end of the plot, we determined that the MRI definition of patella alta and baja is a ratio of TL/PL of more than 1.50 and less than 0.74 respectively. We found that females had significantly higher TL/PL ratio than males (1.0878 and 1.0032 respectively). Ratios defined for patella alta and baja were 1.52 and 0.79 respectively in females and 1.32 and 0.74 respectively in males (p<0.0001).
Patella alta and baja are determined as TL/PL of more than 1.50 and less than 0.74 respectively, somewhat different than traditionally quoted radiographic and previously described MRI criteria.
- Grelsamer, (1992) Clin Orthop 282: pp. 170
- Miller, (1996) AJR 167: pp. 339
- Grana, (1985) Clin Sports Med 4: pp. 247
- Insall, (1971) Radiology 101: pp. 101
- Kannus, (1992) Radiology 185: pp. 859
- Von, (1984) Z Orthop Inhre Brenzgeb 122: pp. 798
- Aparicio, (1997) J Pediatr Orthop 17: pp. 63 CrossRef
- Tria, (1994) Clin Orthop 299: pp. 229
- Noyes, (1991) Clin Orthop 265: pp. 241
- Mann, (1992) Radiology 184: pp. 15
- Sackett DL, Haynes RB, Tugwell P. Clinical epidemiology, a basic science for clinical medicine. Boston/Toronto: Little, Brown 1985: 51–55
- Boot-Itt, (1930) AJR 24: pp. 389
- Blumensaat, (1938) Ergebn Chir Orthop 31: pp. 149
- Blackburne, (1977) J Bone Joint Surg 59: pp. 241
- de, (1985) Int Orthop 9: pp. 195
- Caton, (1982) Riv Chir Orthop 68: pp. 317
- Norman, (1983) Acta Orthop Scand 54: pp. 908
- Linclau, (1984) Acta Orthop Belg 50: pp. 70
- Ficat RP, Hungerford DS. Disorders of the patello-femoral joint. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1977
- Iwano, (1990) Clin Orthop 252: pp. 190
- MRI criteria for patella alta and baja
Volume 33, Issue 8 , pp 445-450
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, 52621, Tel-Hashomer, Israel
- 2. Department of Radiology, Thomas Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 3. Department of Radiology, New York University/Hospital for Joint Disease, New York, NY, USA