Interactive digital atlas of skeletal surveys for common skeletal dysplasias
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Skeletal dysplasias are conditions of abnormal bone and cartilage growth resulting in short stature. Developing expertise in the radiographic evaluation of dysplasias can be difficult because more than 250 skeletal dysplasias have been described. Exhaustive description of individual dysplasias can be found in hard copy textbooks, without the ability to compare dysplasias side by side.
To provide radiographic images of several common skeletal dysplasias with comparative normal skeletal surveys, thus facilitating understanding of the terminology and differences in imaging appearances commonly encountered in interpreting dysplasias.
Materials and methods
Images from skeletal surveys obtained at our institution from 2006 to 2010 were compiled and reviewed for best quality images. Selected surveys were divided into body parts. The software program used for viewing the atlas permits linked scrolling, resizing of images, and simultaneous comparison of cases.
Radiographic images for 13 common skeletal dysplasias and 3 comparative normal skeletons (neonate, infant and child) are provided as an interactive digital atlas.
The placement of images of several common skeletal dysplasias with descriptive text in an interactive and comparative format facilitates understanding of basic radiographic terminology and appearances. We describe the atlas and discuss skeletal survey interpretation.
- Lachman, RS Skeletal dysplasias. In: Slovis, T eds. (2008) Caffey’s pediatric diagnostic imaging. Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphiapp. p 2613
- Spranger, JW, Brill, PW, Poznanski, A (2002) Bone dysplasias: an atlas of genetic disorders of skeletal development. Oxford University Press, New York
- Lachman, RS (2007) Taybi and Lachman’s radiology of syndromes, metabolic disorders and skeletal dysplasias. Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia
- International Skeletal Dysplasia Registry at Cedars-Sinai Health System, http://isdr.csmc.edu/ (accessed 21 August 2012)
- Jelacic, S, Regt, D, Weinberger, E (2006) Interactive digital MR atlas of the pediatric brain. Radiographics 26: pp. 497-501 CrossRef
- Warman, ML, Cormier-Daire, V, Hall, C (2011) Nosology and classification of genetic skeletal disorders: 2010 revision. Am J Med Genet A 155: pp. 943-968 CrossRef
- Parnell, SE, Phillips, GS (2012) Neonatal skeletal dysplasias. Pediatr Radiol 42: pp. S150-S157 CrossRef
- Interactive digital atlas of skeletal surveys for common skeletal dysplasias
Volume 43, Issue 7 , pp 803-813
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Skeletal dysplasia
- Skeletal survey
- Industry Sectors