Use of the Perclose ProGlide device with the 9 French Merci retrieval system
- Kennith F. LaytonAffiliated withDepartment of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Email author
- , J. Bradley WhiteAffiliated withDepartment of Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic
- , Harry J. CloftAffiliated withDepartment of Radiology, Mayo Clinic
- , David F. KallmesAffiliated withDepartment of Radiology, Mayo Clinic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Closure devices are commonly used in neurointerventional procedures to achieve groin hemostasis. These devices are particularly useful in procedures requiring anticoagulation and larger catheters. The suture-mediated Perclose ProGlide device is intended for use with 5F to 8F sheaths. We describe the use of the ProGlide device with 9F sheaths in acute stroke treatment using the Merci retrieval device.
The ProGlide device is advanced over a wire until the wire exit port is at the skin surface. The wire is removed and the device is advanced until pulsatile blood flow is encountered. The footplates are opened and the stitch is deployed. The footplates are then closed and the device is removed. After advancing the suture to the vessel, it is locked and trimmed. Firm pressure is necessary during deployment to prevent oozing around the device. If continued bleeding is encountered, direct manual pressure is used to achieve hemostasis.
We have successfully used the Perclose ProGlide device in four patients following the Merci retriever without groin or extremity complication. The Perclose ProGlide device can be successfully used after placement of a 9F system in patients who have undergone mechanical thrombectomy.
This technique may be of interest to endovascular surgical neuroradiologists because it affords fast hemostasis in large access sites following mechanical thrombectomy with the Merci retrieval device. Compared to the “Preclose” technique, it saves valuable time at the beginning of the case.
KeywordsStroke Ischemia Interventional neuroradiology Angiography Thrombectomy
- Use of the Perclose ProGlide device with the 9 French Merci retrieval system
Volume 48, Issue 5 , pp 324-326
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Interventional neuroradiology
- Industry Sectors