Find out how to access preview-only content
Date: 25 Jul 2013
Standardising the descriptive epidemiology of osteoporosis: recommendations from the Epidemiology and Quality of Life Working Group of IOF
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Committee of Scientific Advisors of International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) recommends that papers describing the descriptive epidemiology of osteoporosis using bone mineral density (BMD) at the femoral neck include T-scores derived from an international reference standard.
The prevalence of osteoporosis as defined by the T-score is inconsistently reported in the literature which makes comparisons between studies problematic.
The Epidemiology and Quality of Life Working Group of IOF convened to make its recommendations and endorsement sought thereafter from the Committee of Scientific Advisors of IOF.
The Committee of Scientific Advisors of IOF recommends that papers describing the descriptive epidemiology of osteoporosis using BMD at the femoral neck include T-scores derived from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III reference database for femoral neck measurements in Caucasian women aged 20–29 years.
It is expected that the use of the reference standard will help resolve difficulties in the comparison of results between studies and the comparative assessment of new technologies.
Epidemiology and Quality of Life Working Group of IOF: J.A. Kanis, C. Cooper, J. Adachi, F. Borgström, P. Clark, S. Cummings, M. Diaz-Perez, H.P. Dimai, M. Hiligsmann, E. Lau, P. Lips, M. Lewiecki, R. Lorenc, E. McCloskey, A. Papioannou, S. Ortolani, S. Silverman, P. Szulc, N. Yoshimura, M. Sosa, N. Harvey
WHO (1994) Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. WHO Study Group. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 843:1–129
Kanis J (2008) Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health-care level. Technical Report. WHO Collaborating Centre, University of Sheffield, UK. http://www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/index.htm. Accessed 20 Jan 2013
- Standardising the descriptive epidemiology of osteoporosis: recommendations from the Epidemiology and Quality of Life Working Group of IOF
Volume 24, Issue 11 , pp 2763-2764
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer London
- Additional Links
- Descriptive epidemiology
- Femoral neck
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
- 2. Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
- 3. MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- 4. NIHR Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 5. Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Hospital Infantil de México “Federico Gómez”, Facultad de Medicina UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico
- 6. San Fransisco Coordinating Center, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Fransisco, CA, USA
- 7. Servicio de Medicina Interna, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
- 8. Department of Health Services Research, School for Public Health and Primary Care (CAPHRI), Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- 9. Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
- 10. International Osteoporosis Foundation, Nyon, Switzerland
- 11. OMC Clinical Research Center, Beverly Hills, CA, USA
- 12. INSERM UMR 1033, University of Lyon, Lyon, France