Initiation of osteoporosis assessment in the fracture clinic results in improved osteoporosis management: a randomised controlled trial
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Osteoporosis management post fragility fracture has traditionally been deficient with up to 60–90 % of patients remaining untreated for osteoporosis in some studies. Efforts have been made to address this deficiency with some successes reported.
The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy of two different models of screening for osteoporosis in a community fracture clinic setting.
A prospective randomised clinical trial was conducted to assess the DXA scan and treatment rates in patients with fragility fractures when assessment for osteoporosis had been initiated in the fracture clinic compared with the “usual care” of assessment initiation by the participant’s general practitioner.
Sixty-six patients were enrolled in the study. Thirty-three patients each were in the control and intervention groups. The assessment rate (DXA scan rate) was significantly better in the intervention group where participants were referred for assessment from fracture clinic compared to the control group where participants were referred for assessment by their general practitioner (68 vs 36 %, respectively; p < 0.05). For patients who were assessed for osteoporosis, treatment rates were similar in both the control and intervention groups (100 vs 88 %, p > 0.05).
This study demonstrates that screening for osteoporosis initiated in fracture clinic results in improved osteoporosis management compared to screening initiated in primary care. Orthopaedic surgeons and other specialists need to be more active in managing osteoporosis in patients who present with fragility fractures and should at the very least initiate assessment in the fracture clinic setting.
- Bogoch, ER, Elliot-Gibson, V, Beaton, DE, Jamal, SA, Josse, RG, Murray, TM (2006) Effective initiation of osteoporosis diagnosis and treatment for patients with a fragility fracture in an orthopaedic environment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 88: pp. 25-34 CrossRef
- Colon-Emeric, C, Kuchibhatla, M, Pieper, C (2003) The contribution of hip fracture to risk of subsequent fractures: data from two longitudinal studies. Osteoporos Int 14: pp. 879-883 CrossRef
- Ettinger, B, Ray, GT, Pressman, AR, Gluck, O (2003) Limb fractures in elderly men as indicators of subsequent fracture risk. Arch Intern Med 163: pp. 2741-2747 CrossRef
- Johnell, O, Kanis, JA, Oden, A (2004) Fracture risk following an osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 15: pp. 175-179 CrossRef
- Klotzbuecher, CM, Ross, PD, Landsman, PB, Abbott, TA, Berger, M (2000) Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: a summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res 15: pp. 721-739 CrossRef
- Lyons, AR (1997) Clinical outcomes and treatment of hip fractures. Am J Med 103: pp. 51S-63S CrossRef
- Feldstein, AC, Nichols, GA, Elmer, PJ, Smith, DH, Aickin, M, Herson, M (2003) Older women with fractures: patients falling through the cracks of guideline-recommended osteoporosis screening and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 85-A: pp. 2294-2302
- Follin, SL, Black, JN, McDermott, MT (2003) Lack of diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis in men and women after hip fracture. Pharmacotherapy 23: pp. 190-198 CrossRef
- Harrington, JT, Broy, SB, Derosa, AM, Licata, AA, Shewmon, DA (2002) Hip fracture patients are not treated for osteoporosis: a call to action. Arthritis Rheum 47: pp. 651-654 CrossRef
- Freedman, KB, Kaplan, FS, Bilker, WB, Strom, BL, Lowe, RA (2000) Treatment of osteoporosis: are physicians missing an opportunity?. J Bone Joint Surg Am 82-A: pp. 1063-1070
- Kamel, HK, Hussain, MS, Tariq, S, Perry, HM, Morley, JE (2000) Failure to diagnose and treat osteoporosis in elderly patients hospitalized with hip fracture. Am J Med 109: pp. 326-328 CrossRef
- Elliot-Gibson, V, Bogoch, ER, Jamal, SA, Beaton, DE (2004) Practice patterns in the diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis after a fragility fracture: a systematic review. Osteoporos Int 15: pp. 767-778 CrossRef
- Papaioannou, A, Giangregorio, L, Kvern, B, Boulos, P, Ioannidis, G, Adachi, JD (2004) The osteoporosis care gap in Canada. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 5: pp. 11 CrossRef
- Sale, JE, Beaton, DE, Elliot-Gibson, VI, Bogoch, ER, Ingram, J (2010) A postfracture initiative to improve osteoporosis management in a community hospital in ontario. J Bone Joint Surg Am 92: pp. 1973-1980 CrossRef
- Harrington, JT, Barash, HL, Day, S, Lease, J (2005) Redesigning the care of fragility fracture patients to improve osteoporosis management: a health care improvement project. Arthritis Rheum 53: pp. 198-204 CrossRef
- Brown, JP, Josse, RG (2002) 2002 clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in Canada. CMAJ 167: pp. S1-S34
- Gardner, MJ, Brophy, RH, Demetrakopoulos, D (2005) Interventions to improve osteoporosis treatment following hip fracture. A prospective, randomized trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 87: pp. 3-7 CrossRef
- Miki, RA, Oetgen, ME, Kirk, J, Insogna, KL, Lindskog, DM (2008) Orthopaedic management improves the rate of early osteoporosis treatment after hip fracture. A randomized clinical trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 90: pp. 2346-2353 CrossRef
- McLellan, AR, Gallacher, SJ, Fraser, M, McQuillian, C (2003) The fracture liaison service: success of a program for the evaluation and management of patients with osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 14: pp. 1028-1034 CrossRef
- Sheehan, J, Mohamed, F, Reilly, M, Perry, IJ (2000) Secondary prevention following fractured neck of femur: a survey of orthopaedic surgeons practice. Ir Med J 93: pp. 105-107
- Rozental, TD, Makhni, EC, Day, CS, Bouxsein, ML (2008) Improving evaluation and treatment for osteoporosis following distal radius fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 90: pp. 953-961 CrossRef
- Blonk, MC, Erdtsieck, RJ, Wernekinck, MG, Schoon, EJ (2007) The fracture and osteoporosis clinic: 1-year results and 3-months compliance. Bone 40: pp. 1643-1649 CrossRef
- Sale, JEM, Beaton, D, Posen, J, Elliot-Gibson, V, Bogoch, E (2011) Systematic review on interventions to improve osteoporosis investigation and treatments in fragility fracture patients. Osteoporos Int 22: pp. 2067-2082 CrossRef
- Marsh, D, Akesson, K, Beaton, DE (2011) Coordinator-based systems for secondary prevention in fragility fracture patients. Osteoporos Int 22: pp. 2051-2065 CrossRef
- O'Malley, G, Mulkerrin, E (2011) Vitamin D insufficiency: a common and treatable problem in the Irish population. Ir J Med Sci 180: pp. 7-13 CrossRef
- Initiation of osteoporosis assessment in the fracture clinic results in improved osteoporosis management: a randomised controlled trial
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 1089-1094
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Fracture clinic
- Industry Sectors