Social dynamics of postpartum depression: a population-based screening in South-Eastern Hungary
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine contributing psychosocial factors to postnatal depression (PND) in Hungary in 1996 and in 2006.
In 1996 and 2006, a total of 2,333 and 1,619 women, respectively, were screened for PND in South-Eastern Hungary, based on a Leverton questionnaire (LQ) score of ≥12 at 6–10 weeks after delivery.
The LQ scores indicated an increase in PND from 15.0% in 1996 to 17.4% in 2006. The best predictors for PND in a multiple regression analysis were living in an urban environment [adjusted odds ratio (AOR) = 11.26], unstable relationship (AOR = 3.1) and a perceived lack of social support from partner (AOR = 3.65) in 1996, and recent major life events (AOR = 3.38), unstable relationship (AOR = 3.84), self-reported low income (AOR = 1.82), and intention to return to work soon after delivery (AOR = 0.47) in 2006.
A self-defined low socioeconomic status and an intention to return to work have become significant factors in the development of PND. Besides the family factors recognized as salient variables in 1996, economic features came into prominence as newly identified main predictive factors for PND in 2006.
- Social dynamics of postpartum depression: a population-based screening in South-Eastern Hungary
Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology
Volume 46, Issue 5 , pp 413-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Leverton questionnaire
- Postpartum depression
- Multiple logistic regression
- Effects of social changes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Women and Children’s Division, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Oslo University Hospital, Ullevaal, Kirkeveien 166, 0407, Oslo, Norway
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Box 189, Level 4, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
- 3. Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Szeged, Temesvári krt. 31., Szeged, 6726, Hungary
- 4. Section of Behaviour Science, University of Szeged, Szentháromság u. 5., Szeged, 6720, Hungary
- 5. Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Institute of Psychology, University of Pécs, Ifjúság útja 6/b; 2nd Floor, Pécs, 7624, Hungary
- 6. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Szeged, Semmelweis u. 1., Szeged, 6721, Hungary
- 7. Centre for Assisted Reproduction, Kaáli Institute, University of Szeged, Semmelweis u. 1., Szeged, 6721, Hungary