Implementation of the automated Leicester Practice Risk Score in two diabetes prevention trials provides a high yield of people with abnormal glucose tolerance
The Leicester Practice Risk Score (LPRS) is a tool for identifying those at high risk of either impaired glucose regulation (IGR), defined as impaired glucose tolerance and/or impaired fasting glucose, or type 2 diabetes from routine primary care data. The aim of this study was to determine the yield from the LPRS when applied in two diabetes prevention trials.
Let’s Prevent Diabetes (LPD) and Walking Away from Diabetes (WAD) studies used the LPRS to identify people at risk of IGR or type 2 diabetes from 54 general practices. The top 10% at risk within each practice were invited for screening using a 75 g OGTT. The response rate to the invitation and the prevalence of IGR and/or type 2 diabetes in each study were calculated.
Of those invited 19.2% (n = 3,449) in LPD and 22.1% (n = 833) in WAD attended. Of those screened for LPD 25.5% (95% CI 24.1, 27.0) had IGR and 4.5% (95% CI 3.8, 5.2) had type 2 diabetes, giving a prevalence of any abnormal glucose tolerance of 30.1% (95% CI 28.5, 31.6). Comparable rates were seen for the WAD study: IGR 26.5% (95% CI 23.5, 29.5), type 2 diabetes 3.0% (95% CI 1.8, 4.2) and IGR/type 2 diabetes 29.5% (95% CI 26.4, 32.6).
Using the LPRS identifies a high yield of people with abnormal glucose tolerance, significantly higher than those seen in a population screening programme in the same locality. The LPRS is an inexpensive and simple way of targeting screening programmes at those with the highest risk.
- Implementation of the automated Leicester Practice Risk Score in two diabetes prevention trials provides a high yield of people with abnormal glucose tolerance
Volume 55, Issue 12 , pp 3238-3244
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Impaired glucose regulation
- Primary care
- Type 2 diabetes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester Diabetes Centre (Broadleaf), Leicester General Hospital, Gwendolen Road, Leicester, LE5 4PW, UK
- 2. Leicester Diabetes Centre, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
- 3. Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK