The longest ever randomised controlled trial of insulin glargine: study design and HbA1c findings
- C. J. Currie
- … show all 1 hide
To the Editor: I would like to discuss the study design and reporting of the recent study by Rosenstock and colleagues that examined the long-term safety of insulin glargine (A21Gly,B31Arg,B32Arg human insulin) vs neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin with respect to progression of retinopathy .
It is possible that the inclusion of individuals with type 2 diabetes who, at baseline, had a mean duration of prior exposure to insulin of 5 years, had an average duration of diabetes of almost 11 years, and had not developed anything more than non-proliferative retinopathy may have introduced bias in the form of a ‘survival effect’. That is, these patients could be those least likely to develop more severe visual loss, irrespective of their treatment regimen. This would have reduced the power of the study to detect any change resulting from insulin glargine exposure. There appeared to be considerable treatment heterogeneity in the respective treatment arms. For example, the mean total in ...
- Rosenstock, J, Fonseca, V, McGill, JB (2009) Similar progression of diabetic retinopathy with insulin glargine and neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a long-term, randomised, open-label study. Diabetologia.
- Rosenstock, J, Fonseca, V, McGill, JB (2009) Similar risk of malignancy with insulin glargine and neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes: findings from a 5 year randomised, open-label study. Diabetologia.
- Currie, CJ, Poole, CD, Gale, EAM (2009) The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia.
- Poole, CD, Tetlow, T, McEwan, P, Holmes, P, Currie, CJ (2007) The prescription cost of managing people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes following initiation of treatment with either insulin glargine or insulin detemir in routine general practice in the UK: a retrospective database analysis. Curr Med Res Opin 23: pp. S41-S48 CrossRef
- Smith, U, Gale, EAM (2009) Does diabetes therapy influence the risk of cancer?. Diabetologia.
- The longest ever randomised controlled trial of insulin glargine: study design and HbA1c findings
Volume 52, Issue 10 , pp 2234-2235
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- C. J. Currie (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Pharma Research Centre, Cardiff MediCentre, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, CF14 4UJ, UK