Coffee, diabetes and insulin sensitivity
To the Editor: Two recently published studies have suggested that habitual consumption of coffee reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes [1, 2]. The mechanisms involved are unknown but are likely to relate to the effects of caffeine on insulin action. Although acute studies show that caffeine loading is associated with a reduction in insulin sensitivity, this effect appears to be lost following sustained consumption .
In type 1 diabetes, caffeine has been reported to enhance the symptomatic and hormonal responses to hypoglycaemia , but its effects on insulin sensitivity are unknown.
In 1999 a 33-year-old man, a long-term consumer of coffee, was converted to continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion as part of a clinical trial. He developed type 1 diabetes at the age of 3, but apart from diabetic retinopathy, has remained well with HbA1c levels of between 7 and 8%. Recently, on two occasions separated by 2 weeks, he consumed his usual breakfast (a bowl of cereal) but kept the ...
- Yamaji, T, Mizoue, T, Tabata, S (2004) Coffee consumption and glucose tolerance status in middle-aged Japanese men. Diabetologia 47: pp. 2145-2151 CrossRef
- Dam, RM, Dekker, JM, Nijpels, G (2004) Coffee consumption and incidence of impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, and type 2 diabetes: the Hoorn study. Diabetologia 47: pp. 2152-2159 CrossRef
- Arnlov, J, Vessby, B, Riserus, U (2004) Coffee consumption and insulin sensitivity. JAMA 291: pp. 1199-1201 CrossRef
- Watson, J, Jenkins, E, Hamilton, P, Kerr, D (2000) Influence of caffeine on the frequency of hypoglycaemia among free-living patients with type-1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 23: pp. 455-459
- Watson, J, Deary, I, Kerr, D (2002) Central and peripheral effects of sustained caffeine use: tolerance is incomplete. Br J Clin Pharmacol 54: pp. 400-406 CrossRef
- Watson, J, Sherwin, R, Deary, I, Scott, L, Kerr, D (2003) Dissociation of augmented physiological, hormonal and cognitive responses to hypoglycaemia with sustained caffeine use. Clin Sci 104: pp. 447-454 CrossRef
- Coffee, diabetes and insulin sensitivity
Volume 48, Issue 7 , p 1418
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors