The Registry of Knowledge Translation Methods and Tools: a resource to support evidence-informed public health
This paper examines the development of a globally accessible online Registry of Knowledge Translation Methods and Tools to support evidence-informed public health.
A search strategy, screening and data extraction tools, and writing template were developed to find, assess, and summarize relevant methods and tools. An interactive website and searchable database were designed to house the registry. Formative evaluation was undertaken to inform refinements.
Over 43,000 citations were screened; almost 700 were full-text reviewed, 140 of which were included. By November 2012, 133 summaries were available. Between January 1 and November 30, 2012 over 32,945 visitors from more than 190 countries accessed the registry. Results from 286 surveys and 19 interviews indicated the registry is valued and useful, but would benefit from a more intuitive indexing system and refinements to the summaries. User stories and promotional activities help expand the reach and uptake of knowledge translation methods and tools in public health contexts.
The National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools’ Registry of Methods and Tools is a unique and practical resource for public health decision makers worldwide.
- Armstrong R, Waters E, Dobbins M, Lavis JN, Petticrew M, Christensen R (2011) Knowledge translation strategies for facilitating evidence-informed public health decision making among managers and policy-makers (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD009181
- Australian Network of Public Health Institutions (2009) Foundation competencies for master of public health graduates in Australia. http://www.phaa.net.au/documents/ANAPHI_MPH%20competencies.pdf. Accessed 17 Dec 2012
- Bowen S, Erickson T, Martens PJ, Crockett S (2009) More than “using research”: the real challenges in promoting evidence-informed decision making. Healthc Policy 4:87–102
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2012) Defining and framing knowledge translation. http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/29418.html. Accessed 24 Aug 2012
- Ciliska D, Clark K, Thomas H, Valaitis R, VanBerkel C (2006) National Collaborating Centre: public health methodologies and tools. Environmental scan: final report. No longer available on-line. Contact the National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools for access
- Dobbins M, DeCorby K, Twiddy T (2004) A knowledge transfer strategy for public health decision makers. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 1:120–128 CrossRef
- Dobbins M, Kyle R, Timmings C, Ward M, Cava M, Clarke C et al (2009a) A tailored, collaborative strategy to develop capacity and facilitate evidence-informed public health decision making. Funding Agency: Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Project details available at http://webapps.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/cfdd/db_search?p_language=E&p_competition=200904PHE. Accessed 24 Aug 2012
- Dobbins M, Robeson P, Ciliska D, Hanna S, Cameron R, O’Mara L, DeCorby K, Mercer S (2009b) A description of a knowledge broker role implemented as part of a randomized controlled trial evaluating three knowledge translation strategies. Implement Sci 4:23 CrossRef
- Frank J, Di Ruggiero E, Mowat D, Medlar B (2007) Developing knowledge translation capacity in public health: the role of the National Collaborating Centres. Can J Public Health 98:I1–I6
- Kiefer L, Frank J, Di Ruggiero E, Dobbins M, Manuel D, Gully PR, Mowat D (2005) Fostering evidence-based decision-making in Canada. Can J Public Health 96:I1–I19
- Medlar B, Mowat D, Di Ruggiero E, Frank J (2006) Introducing the National Collaborating Centres for Public Health. Can Med Assoc J 175:493–494 CrossRef
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools (2011) Evidence informed public health. http://www.nccmt.ca/eiph/index-eng.html. Accessed 24 Aug 2012
- Peirson L, Ciliska D, Dobbins M, Mowat D (2012) Building capacity for evidence informed decision making in public health: a case study of organizational change. BMC Public Health 12:137 CrossRef
- Public Health Agency of Canada (2010) Core competency statements. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/php-psp/ccph-cesp/stmts-enon-eng.php. Accessed 24 Aug 2012
- Public Health Foundation (2010) Core competencies for public health professionals. http://www.phf.org/resourcestools/pages/core_public_health_competencies.aspx. Accessed 17 Dec 2012
- Public Health Resource Unit (2008) Public health skills and career framework. http://www.sph.nhs.uk/what-we-do/public-health-workforce/outcomes/public-health-skills-and-career-framework. Accessed 17 Dec 2012
- Waters E, Armstrong R, Swinburn B, Moore L, Dobbins M, Anderson L, Petticrew M, Clark R, Conning R, Moodie M, Carter R (2011) An exploratory cluster randomised controlled trial of knowledge translation strategies to support evidence-informed decision-making in local governments (The KT4LG study). BMC Public Health 11:34 CrossRef
- The Registry of Knowledge Translation Methods and Tools: a resource to support evidence-informed public health
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Journal of Public Health
Volume 58, Issue 4 , pp 493-500
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Basel
- Additional Links
- Knowledge translation
- Public health
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. McMaster Evidence Review and Synthesis Centre, McMaster University, Downtown Centre, 50 Main St. E., 3rd Floor, Hamilton, ON, Canada
- 2. Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 3. National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada