Anti-inflammatory activity of quercetin and isoquercitrin in experimental murine allergic asthma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Eosinophils and cytokines are implicated in the pathogenesis of allergic diseases. In the present study, we investigate the anti-inflammatory effect of quercetin and isoquercitrin in a murine model of asthma.
BALB/c mice were immunized (ovalbumin/aluminum hydroxide, s. c.), followed by two intranasal ovalbumin challenges. From day 18 to day 22 after the first immunization, the mice received daily gavages of isoquercitrin (15 mg/kg) or quercetin (10 mg/kg). Dexamethasone (1 mg/kg, s. c.) was administered as a positive control. Leucocytes were analyzed in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF), blood and pulmonary parenchyma at 24 h after the last ovalbumin challenge. Interleukin-5 (IL-5) was analyzed in BALF and lung homogenates.
In animals receiving isoquercitrin or quercetin, eosinophil counts were lower in the BALF, blood and lung parenchyma. Neutrophil counts in blood and IL-5 levels in lung homogenate were lower only in isoquercitrin-treated mice. No alterations in mononuclear cell numbers were observed.
Quercetin and isoquercitrin are effective eosinophilic inflammation suppressors, suggesting a potential for treating allergies.
- Anti-inflammatory activity of quercetin and isoquercitrin in experimental murine allergic asthma
Volume 56, Issue 10 , pp 402-408
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Murine model of asthma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Análises Clínicas, Toxicológicas e Bromatológicas, Ribeirão Preto, Brasil
- 2. Departamento de Física e Química, Faculdade de Ciências Farmacêuticas de Ribeirão Preto, Universidade de São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto, 14040-903, Brasil
- 3. Departamento de Patologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto, Universidade de São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto, 14040-900, Brasil