An examination of perceptual and cognitive set shifting tasks in acute anorexia nervosa and following recovery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objectives: People with anorexia nervosa have a broad spread of symptoms including disturbances in perception, cognition, emotions and behaviour. The aim of this study was to examine tests of executive function (in particular, perceptual and cognitive set shifting tasks) in patients with a current or past diagnosis of anorexia nervosa (AN). Method: 30 AN patients, 16 subjects recovered from anorexia nervosa (ANR) and 23 healthy controls were examined using tests of executive function (initiation tasks and perceptual and cognitive set shifting). Results: The AN and ANR subjects had significantly higher perceptual and cognitive set shifting scores than the controls. Conclusions: Impaired executive function in terms of set shifting tasks could represent a vulnerability factor for AN.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Washington, DC, APA Press, 1994.
- Fox C.F.: Neuropsychological correlations of anorexia nervosa Int. J. Psychiatry Med., 11, 285–290, 1981. CrossRef
- Gillberg I. C., Rastam M., Gillberg C.: Anorexia nervosa 6 years after onset: Part I. Personality disorders. Compr. Psychiatry, 36, 61–69, 1995. CrossRef
- Lauer J., Gorzewski B., Gerlinghoff M., Backmund H., Zihl J.: Neuropsychological assessments before and after treatment in patients with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. J. Psychiatr. Res., 33, 129–138, 1999. CrossRef
- Kingston K., Szmukler G., Andrewes D., Tress B., Desmond P.: Neuropsychological and structural brain changes in anorexia nervosa before and after refeeding. Psychol. Med., 26, 15–28, 1996. CrossRef
- Szmukler G.I., Andrewes D., Kingston K., Chen L., Stargatt R., Stanley R.: Neuropsychological impairment in anorexia nervosa: before and after refeeding. J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol., 14, 347–352, 1992. CrossRef
- Tchanturia K., Serpell L., Troop N., Treasure J.: Perceptual illusions in eating disorders: rigid and fluctuating styles. J. Behav. Ther. Exp. Psychiatry, 32, 107–115, 2001. CrossRef
- Uznadze D.N.: The psychology of set consultants’ bureau. New York, 1966
- Eliava N.: A problem of set in cognitive psychology. Tbilisi, Academy of Science press, 1964.
- Lewis G., Pelosi A.J., Glover E., Wilkinson G., Stansfeld S.A., Williams P., Shepherd M.: The development of a computerized assessment for minor psychiatric disorder. Psychol. Med., 18, 737–745, 1988 CrossRef
- Zigmond A.S., Snaith R.P.: The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr. Scand., 67, 361–370. 1983 CrossRef
- Hodgson R.J., Rachman S.: Obsessionalcompulsive complaints. Behav. Res. Ther., 15, 389–395, 1997. CrossRef
- Lezak M.D.: Neuropsychological assessment. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Corsini R.J.: The dictionary of psychology. Philadelphia, Taylor Francis, 1999.
- Austin M., Mitchell P., Goodwin M.: Cognitive deficits in depression. Br. J. Psychiatry, 178, 200–206, 2001. CrossRef
- Bzhalava I.T.: On the psychopathology of fixated set in epilepsy and schizophrenia. Cortex, 4-5, 493–508, 1964.
- Eysenck H.J.: Dimensions of personality. London, Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1947.
- An examination of perceptual and cognitive set shifting tasks in acute anorexia nervosa and following recovery
Eating and Weight Disorders - Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 312-315
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Anorexia nervosa
- set shifting