Bringing the brand to life: Structural conditions of brand-consistent employee behavior
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Continuous brand success can be realized only if the brand promise that is communicated through mass media campaigns is lived up to by customer contact employees. In fact, discrepancies in brand experience may lead to customer confusion and dissatisfaction. However, what does that mean to brand managers? A survey among marketing managers shows that a reorganization of brand management routines is needed in order to bring the brand to life: informal management techniques and employee empowerment are required instead of formal management activities. In this article, we elaborate first steps for the implementation and maintenance of behavioral branding considering findings of our survey as well as implications from management focus groups and best practice examples.
- Aaker, D. A. (1996): Building Strong Brands, New York.
- Aurand, T. W./ Gorchels, L./ Bishop, T. R. (2005): Human Resource Management’s Role in Internal Branding: An Opportunity for Cross-Functional Brand Message Synergy, in: Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 163–169.
- Baily, T. R. (1993): Discretionary Effort and the Organization of Work: Employee Participation and Work Reform Since Hawthorne, Working Paper, Columbia University, New York.
- Bendapudi, N./ Bendapudi, V. (2005): Creating the Living Brand, in: Harvard Business Review, Vol. 83, No. 5, pp. 124–132.
- Berry, L. L. (2000): Cultivating Service Brand Equity, in: Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 128–137.
- Chin, W. W. (1998): Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling, in: Marcoulides, G. A. (Ed.): Modern Methods for Business Research, Mahwah, pp. 295–336.
- Dean, A. M. (2004): Links between Organizational and Customer Variables in Service Delivery: Evidence, Contradictions and Challenges, in: International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 332–350.
- Edwards, J. R./ Bagozzi, R. P. (2000): On the Nature and Direction of Relationships Between Constructs and Measures, in: Psychological Methods, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 155–174.
- Hanna, V./ Backhouse, C. J./ Burns, N. D. (2004): Linking Employee Behavior to External Customer Satisfaction Using Quality Function Deployment, in: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B, Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 218, No. 9, pp. 1167–1177.
- Hartline, M. D./ Ferrell, O. C. (1996): The Management of Customer Contact Employees: An Empirical Investigation, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 52–70.
- Hartline, M. D./ Maxham III, J. G./ Mc Kee, D. O. (2000): Corridors of Influence in the Dissemination of Customer-Oriented Strategy to Customer Service Employees, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 64, No. 2, pp. 35–50.
- Henkel, S./ Tomczak, T./ Heitmann, M./ Herrmann, A. (2006): The Impact of Personal Employee Interaction on Brand Performance: Theoretical Foundation and Management Approach, in: EMAC Conference Proceedings, The European Marketing Academy (Ed.), Athens.
- Iacobucci, D./ Ostrom, A. (1995): Consumer Trade-Offs and the Evaluation of Services, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 17–28.
- Jaworski, B. J. (1988): Toward a Theory of Marketing Control: Environmental Context, Control Types, and Consequences, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 23–39.
- Kapferer, J.-N. (2004): The New Strategic Brand Management. Creating Brand Equity Long Term, 3rd ed., London.
- Mitchell, C. (2002): Selling the Brand Inside, in: Harvard Business Review, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 99–105.
- Olson, E. M./ Slater, S. F./ Hult, T. M. (2005): The Performance Implications of fit Among Business Strategy, Marketing Organization Structure, and Strategic Behavior, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 49–65.
- Tomczak, T./ Herrmann, A./ Brexendorf, T. O./ Kernstock, J. (2005): Behavioral Branding — Markenprofilierung durch persönliche Kommunikation, in: Thexis, 22. Jg., Nr. 1, S. 28–31.
- Zeithaml, V. A./ Berry, L. L./ Parasuraman, A. (1988): Communication and Control Processes in the Delivery of Service Quality, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 35–48.
- Bringing the brand to life: Structural conditions of brand-consistent employee behavior
Marketing Review St. Gallen
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 13-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Gabler Verlag
- Additional Links