Bringing the brand to life: Structural conditions of brand-consistent employee behavior
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Continuous brand success can be realized only if the brand promise that is communicated through mass media campaigns is lived up to by customer contact employees. In fact, discrepancies in brand experience may lead to customer confusion and dissatisfaction. However, what does that mean to brand managers? A survey among marketing managers shows that a reorganization of brand management routines is needed in order to bring the brand to life: informal management techniques and employee empowerment are required instead of formal management activities. In this article, we elaborate first steps for the implementation and maintenance of behavioral branding considering findings of our survey as well as implications from management focus groups and best practice examples.
- Aaker, D. A. (1996) Building Strong Brands.
- Aurand, T. W., Gorchels, L./., Bishop, T. R. (2005) Human Resource Management’s Role in Internal Branding: An Opportunity for Cross-Functional Brand Message Synergy. Journal of Product and Brand Management. Gabler Verlag, Wiesbaden, pp. 163-169
- Baily, T. R. (1993) Discretionary Effort and the Organization of Work: Employee Participation and Work Reform Since Hawthorne.
- Bendapudi, N./., Bendapudi, V. (2005) Creating the Living Brand. Marketing Review St. Gallen 83: pp. 124-132
- Berry, L. L. (2000) Cultivating Service Brand Equity. Marketing Review St. Gallen 28: pp. 128-137
- Chin, W. W. Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling. In: Marcoulides, G. A. eds. (1998) Modern Methods for Business Research. pp. 295-336
- Dean, A. M. (2004) Links between Organizational and Customer Variables in Service Delivery: Evidence, Contradictions and Challenges. Marketing Review St. Gallen 15: pp. 332-350
- Edwards, J. R., Bagozzi, R. P. (2000) On the Nature and Direction of Relationships Between Constructs and Measures. Marketing Review St. Gallen 5: pp. 155-174
- Hanna, V./., Backhouse, C. J., Burns, N. D. (2004) Linking Employee Behavior to External Customer Satisfaction Using Quality Function Deployment. Marketing Review St. Gallen 218: pp. 1167-1177
- Hartline, M. D., Ferrell, O. C. (1996) The Management of Customer Contact Employees: An Empirical Investigation. Marketing Review St. Gallen 60: pp. 52-70
- Hartline, M. D., Maxham, J. G., Mc Kee, D. O. (2000) Corridors of Influence in the Dissemination of Customer-Oriented Strategy to Customer Service Employees. Marketing Review St. Gallen 64: pp. 35-50
- Henkel, S./., Tomczak, T./., Heitmann, M./., Herrmann, A. (2006) The Impact of Personal Employee Interaction on Brand Performance: Theoretical Foundation and Management Approach. EMAC Conference Proceedings.
- Iacobucci, D./., Ostrom, A. (1995) Consumer Trade-Offs and the Evaluation of Services. Marketing Review St. Gallen 59: pp. 17-28
- Jaworski, B. J. (1988) Toward a Theory of Marketing Control: Environmental Context, Control Types, and Consequences. Marketing Review St. Gallen 52: pp. 23-39
- Kapferer, J.-N. (2004) The New Strategic Brand Management. Creating Brand Equity Long Term.
- Mitchell, C. (2002) Selling the Brand Inside. Marketing Review St. Gallen 80: pp. 99-105
- Olson, E. M., Slater, S. F., Hult, T. M. (2005) The Performance Implications of fit Among Business Strategy, Marketing Organization Structure, and Strategic Behavior. Marketing Review St. Gallen 69: pp. 49-65
- Tomczak, T./., Herrmann, A./., Brexendorf, T. O., Kernstock, J. (2005) Behavioral Branding — Markenprofilierung durch persönliche Kommunikation. Marketing Review St. Gallen 22: pp. 28-31
- Zeithaml, V. A., Berry, L. L., Parasuraman, A. (1988) Communication and Control Processes in the Delivery of Service Quality. Marketing Review St. Gallen 52: pp. 35-48
- Bringing the brand to life: Structural conditions of brand-consistent employee behavior
Marketing Review St. Gallen
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 13-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Gabler Verlag
- Additional Links