Pharmacokinetic studies on IdB 1016, a silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex, in healthy human subjects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
IdB 1016 is a complex of silybin (the main active component of silymarin) and phosphatidylcholine, which in animal models shows greater oral bioavailability and therefore greater pharmacological activity compared with pure silybin and silymarin. In order to assess its pharmacokinetic profile in man, plasma silybin levels were determined after administration of single oral doses of IdB 1016 and silymarin (equivalent to 360 mg silybin) to 9 healthy volunteers. Although absorption was rapid with both preparations, the bioavailability of IdB 1016 was much greater than that of silymarin, as indicated by higher plasma silybin levels at all sampling times after intake of the complex. Regardless of the preparation used, the terminal half-life was relatively short (generally less than 4 h). In a subsequent study, 9 healthy volunteers received IdB 1016 (120 mg b.i.d., expressed as silybin equivalents) for 8 consecutive days. The plasma silybin level profiles and kinetic parameters on day 1 were similar to those determined on day 8. Most of the silybin present in the systemic circulation was in conjugated form. Less than 3% of the administered dose was accounted for by urinary recovery of free plus conjugated silybin, a significant proportion of the dose probably being excreted in the bile. It is concluded that complexation with phosphatidylcholine in IdB 1016 greatly increases the oral bioavailability of silybin, probably by facilitating its passage across the gastrointestinal mucosa.
- Trost W., Halbach G. (1978): Anti-phalloidine and alphaamanitine action of silybin in comparison with compounds similar to structural parts of silybin. Experientia 34, 1051–1052. CrossRef
- Conti M., Malandrino S., Magistretti M.J. (1989): Liver protective activity of IdB 1016, a new flavanolignan complex. 3rd International Symposium on Flavonoids in Biology and Medicine, Singapore, 13–17 November 1989, Abstract_P29.
- Morazzoni P., Magistretti M.J., Zanolo G., Poletti P. (1989): Comparative bioavailability of IdB 1016, a new flavanoügnan complex, in rats. 37th Annual Congress on Medicinal Plant Research, Braunschweig, 5–9 September 1989, Abstract P2–P24.
- Gabetta E., Bombardelli E., Pifferi G. US Patent 4, 754, 508.
- Gabetta B., Zini G.F., Pifferi G. (1989): Spectroscopic studies on IdB 1016, a new flavanolignan complex. 37th Annual Congress on Medicinal Plant Research, Braunschweig, 5–9 September 1989, Abstract P1–P38.
- Martinelli E.M., Morazzoni P., Livio S., Uberti E. (1991): Determination of silybin in human plasma and urine by HPLC. Submitted.
- Lorenz D., Lucker P.W., Mennicke W.H., Wetzelaberger N. (1984): Pharmacokinetic studies with Silymarin in human serum and bile. Meth. Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol. 6, 655–661.
- Zanolo G. Pilot studies of IdB 1016 with plasma level determinations in normal volunteers. R.B.M. Exp. N. 254, Inverni della Beffa S.p.A., Data on file.
- Livio S., Seghizzi R., Pifferi G. (1990): Diffusion of IdB 1016 across artificial and biological membranes. 4th European Congress of Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics, Geneva, 17–19 April 1990.
- Cavallini L., Lucchetti G. (1976): Considerazioni clinicofarmacologiche sulla silimarina. Gazz. Med. It. 135, 365–374.
- Terragna A. Tolerability of IdB 1016 after repeated oral administration in normal subjects. Study Report 3/89/FC, Inverni della Beffa, S.p.A. Data on file.
- Flory P.J., Krug G., Lorenz D., Mennicke W.H. (1980) Untersuchungen zur Elimination von Silymarin bei cholezystektomierten Patienten. 1. Mitteilung: Biliare und renale Elimination nach einmaliger oraler Gabe. Planta Medica 38, 227–237. CrossRef
- Lorenz D., Mennicke W.H., Behrendt W. (1982) Untersuchungen zur Elimination von Silymarin bei cholezystektomierten Patienten. 1. Mitteilung: Biliare Elimination nach mehrfacher oraler Gabe. Planta Medica 45, 216–223. CrossRef
- Pharmacokinetic studies on IdB 1016, a silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex, in healthy human subjects
European Journal of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 333-338
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- IdB 1016
- Industry Sectors