Comparison of computer display monitors for computed radiography diagnostic application in a radiology PACS
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A study to compare the performance of the following display monitors for application as PACS CR diagnostic workstations is described. 1. Diagnostic quality, 3 megapixel, 21 inch monochrome LCD monitors. 2. Commercial grade, 2 megapixel, 20 inch colour LCD monitors. Two sets of fifty radiological studies each were presented separately to five radiologists on two occasions, using different displays on each occasion. The two sets of radiological studies were CR of the chest, querying the presence of pneumothorax, and CR of the wrist, querying the presence of a scaphoid fracture. Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) curves were constructed for diagnostic performance for each presentation. Areas under the ROC curves (AUC) for diagnosis using different monitors were compared for each image set and the following results obtained: Set 1: Monochrome AUC=0.873 +/- 0.026; Colour AUC=0.831 +/-0.032; Set 2: Monochrome AUC=0.945 +/- 0.014; Colour AUC=0.931 +/- 0.019; Differences in AUC were attributed to the different monitors. While not significant at a 95% confidence level, the results have supported a cautious approach to consideration of the use of commercial grade LCD colour monitors for diagnostic application.
- NEMA,Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) Part 14: Grayscale Standard Display Function, PS 3.14, 2003.
- Metz, C. E.,Basic Principles of ROC Analysis, Seminars in Nuclear Medicine. 8(4): pp283–298, 1978. CrossRef
- Hanley, J. A.,Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Methodology, Critical Reviews in Diagnostic Radiology. 29(3): pp307–335, 1989.
- Swaving, M., van Houweingen, H., Ottes, F. P., and Steerneman, T.,Statistical Comparison of ROC Curves from Multiple Readers, Medical Decision Making. 16(2) pp143–152, 1996. CrossRef
- Park, S. H., Goo, J. M. and Jo, C.,Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Curve: Practical Guide for Radiologists, Korean, J Radiol. 5(1): pp11–18, 2004. CrossRef
- ROCIT, http://xray.bsd.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/roc_software.cgi, accessed June 2004.
- JROCfit, http://www.rad.jhmi.edu/roc, accessed June 2004.
- Hanley, J. A. and McNeil, B. J.,A Method of Comparing the Areas Under receiver Operating Characteristic Curves Derived from the Same Cases, Radiology. 148(3): pp839–843, 1983.
- Comparison of computer display monitors for computed radiography diagnostic application in a radiology PACS
Australasian Physics & Engineering Sciences in Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 148-150
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Diagnostic monitor
- operating characteristic
- Industry Sectors