Het effect van slanke vrouwen in commercials op eetgedrag bij lijners
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present study aimed at further examining the effects of exposure to slim media models and light-products in commercials on food intake in relation to restrained eating. Food intake was measured in 124 female students while they watched a neutral or sad movie interrupted by either neutral commercials, or commercials with slim models and light-products. Afterwards, participants were asked to fill out questionnaires on restrained eating and the tendency to overeat. It appeared that high restrained eaters who were exposed to commercials with slim models and light-products ate much less compared to high restrained eaters who were exposed to neutral commercials, whereas unrestrained eaters who were exposed to commercials with slim models and light-products ate slightly more than when exposed to neutral commercials. This might suggest that restrained eaters who watch slim media models and light-products on television could be reminded of their diets.
- Alexander, J.M., & Tepper, B.J. (1995). Use of reduced-calorie/reduced-fat foods by young adults: Influence of gender and restraint. Appetite, 25, 217-230. CrossRef
- Dunkley, T.L., Wertheim, E.H., & Paxton, S.J. (2001). Examination of a model of multiple sociocultural influences on adolescent girls' body dissatisfaction and dietary restraint. Adolescence, 36, 265-279.
- Field, A.E., Austin, S.B., Camargo, C.A., Taylor, C.B., Striegel-Moore, R.H., Loud, K.J., & Colditz, G.A. (2005). Exposure to the mass media, body shape concerns, and use of supplements to improve weight and shape among male and female adolescents. Pediatrics, 116, 214-220. CrossRef
- Garner, D.M. (1991). Eating disorder inventory-2 manual. Odessa: Psychological Assessment Recourses, Inc.
- Gorman, B.S., & Allison, D.B. (1995). Measures of restraint eating. In Allison, D.B. (Ed.). Handbook of assessment methods for eating behavior and weight-related problems: Measures, theory and research (pp. 149-184). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Harrison, K., & Cantor, J. (1997). The relationship between media consumption and eating disorders. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 60, 138-143.
- Heatherton, T.F., Herman, C.P., & Polivy, J. (1991). The relationship between media consumption and eating disorders. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 60, 138-143. CrossRef
- Herman, C.P., & Mack, D. (1975). Restrained and unrestrained eating. Journal of Personality, 43, 647-660. CrossRef
- Herman, C.P., & Polivy, J. (1980). Restraint eating. In A.J. Stunkard (Ed.), Obesity (pp. 208-225). Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company.
- Herman, C.P., Polivy, J., Pliner, P., Threlkeld, J., & Munic, D. (1978). Distractibility in dieters and nondieters: An alternative view of externality. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 36, 536-548. CrossRef
- Herman, C.P., Polivy, J., & Silver, R. (1979). Effects of an observer on eating behavior: The induction of “sensible” eating. Journal of Personality, 47, 85-99. CrossRef
- Hibscher, J.A., & Herman, C.P. (1977). Obesity, dieting, and the expression of "obese" characteristics. Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology, 91, 374-380. CrossRef
- Maxwell, S.E., & Delaney, H.D. (1993). Bivariate median splits and spurious statistical significance. Psychological Bulletin, 113, 181-190. CrossRef
- Mills, J.S., Polivy, J., Herman, C.P., & Tiggemann, M. (2002). Effects of exposure of thin media images: Evidence of self-enhancement among restrained eaters. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28, 1687-1699. CrossRef
- Neumark- Sztainer, D., Rock, C.L., Thornquist, M.D., Cheskin, L.J., Neujouser, M.L., & Barnett, M.J. (2000). Weight-control behaviors among adults and adolescents: Associations with dietary intake. Preventive Medicine, 30, 381-391. CrossRef
- Ouwens, M.A, Strien, T. van, & Staak, C.P.F. van der (2003a). Absence of a disinhibition effect of alcohol on food consumption. Eating Behaviors, 4, 323-332. CrossRef
- Ouwens, M.A, Strien, T. van, & Staak, C.P.F. van der (2003b). Tendency toward overeating and restraint as predictors of food consumption. Appetite, 40, 291-298. CrossRef
- Polivy, J., Coleman, J., & Herman, C.P. (2005). The effect of deprivation on food cravings and eating behaviour in restrained and unrestrained eaters. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 38, 301-309. CrossRef
- Polivy, J., Heatherton, T.F., & Herman, C.P. (1988). Self-esteem, restraint, and eating behavior. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 97, 354-356. CrossRef
- Polivy, J., & Herman, C.P. (1999). Distress and eating: Why do dieters overeat? International Journal of Eating Disorders, 26, 153-164. CrossRef
- Polivy, J., Herman, C.P., Hackett, R., & Kuleshnyk, I. (1986). The effects of self-attention and public attention on eating in restrained and unrestrained eaters. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 50, 1253-1260. CrossRef
- Polivy, J., Herman, C.P., Younger, J.C., & Erksine, B. (1979). Effects of a model on eating behaviour: The induction of a restrained eating style. Journal of Personality, 47, 100-117. CrossRef
- Presnell, K., Bearman, S.K., & Stice., E. (2004). Risk factors for body dissatisfaction in adolescent boys and girls: A prospective study. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 36, 389-401. CrossRef
- Schotte, D.E., Cools, J., & McNally, R.J. (1990). Film-induced negative affect triggers overeating in restraint eaters. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 99, 317-320. CrossRef
- Seddon, L., & Berry, N. (1996). Media-induced disinhibition of dietary restraint. British Journal of Health Psychology, 1, 27-33.
- Stice, E. (2002). Risk and maintenance factors for eating pathology: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 128, 825-848. CrossRef
- Stice, E., Fisher, M., & Lowe, M.R. (2004). Are dietary restraint scales valid measures of acute dietary restriction? Unobtrusive observational data suggests not. Psychological Assessment, 16, 51-59. CrossRef
- Stice, E., Ozer, S., & Kees, M. (1997). Relation of dietary restraint to the bulimic symptomatology: The effects of the criterion confounding of the Restraint Scale. Behavior Research and Therapy, 35, 145-152. CrossRef
- Stice, E., Mazotti, L., Krebs, M., & Martin, S. (1998). Predictors of adolescent dieting behaviors: A longitudinal study. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 12, 195-205. CrossRef
- Stice, E., Schupak-Neuberg, E., Shaw, H.E., & Stein, R.I. (1994). Relation of media exposure to eating disorder symptomatology: An examination of mediating mechanisms. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 103, 836-840. CrossRef
- Stice, E., & Shaw, H.E. (2002). Role of body dissatisfaction in the onset and maintenance of eating pathology: A synthesis of research findings. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 53, 985-993. CrossRef
- Strauss, J., Doyle, A.E., & Kreipe, R.E. (1994). The paradoxical effect of diet commercials on reinhibition of dietary restraint. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 103, 441-444. CrossRef
- Strien, T. van (2002). Eating Disorder Inventory II. Nederlandse versie (EDI II NL). Handleiding. Amsterdam: Harcourt Assessment B.V.
- Strien, T. van(2005). Nederlandse Vragenlijst voor Eetgedrag 2005. Handleiding en verantwoording. Amsterdam: Boom test uitgevers.
- Strien, T. van, Cleven, A., & Schippers, G. (2000). Restraint, tendency toward overeating and ice cream consumption. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 28, 333-338. CrossRef
- Strien, T. van, Engels, R.C., Staveren, W. van, & Herman, C.P. (2006). The validity of dietary restraint scales: Comment on Stice et al. (2004). Psychological Assessment, 18, 89-94. CrossRef
- Strien, T. van, Frijters, J.E.R., Bergers, G.P.A., Defares, P.B. (1986). The Dutch Eating Behaviour Questionnaire (DEBQ) for assessment of restrained, emotional and external eating behaviour. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 5, 295-315. CrossRef
- Stunkard, A.J., & Messick, S. (1985). The Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire to measure dietary restraint, disinhibition and hunger. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 29, 71-83. CrossRef
- Thompson, J.K., Heinberg, L.J., Altabe, M., & Tantleff-Dunn, S. (1999). Exacting beauty: Theory, assessment, and treatment of body image disturbance. Washington: American Psychological Association. CrossRef
- Urbszat, D., Herman, C.P., & Polivy, J. (2002). Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we diet: Effects of anticipated deprivation on food intake in restrained and unrestrained eaters. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 111, 396-401. CrossRef
- Warren, C.S., Strauss, J., Taska, J.L., & Sullivan, S.J. (2005). Inspiring or dispiriting? The effect of diet commercials on snack food consumption in high school and college-aged women. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 37, 266-270. CrossRef
- Watson, D., Clark, L.A., & Tellegen, A. (1988). Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: the PANAS scales. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 1063-1070. CrossRef
- Whisman, M.A., & McClelland, G.H. (2005). Designing, testing, and interpreting interactions and moderator effects in family research. Journal of Family Psychology, 19, 111-120. CrossRef
- Wildes, J.E., Emery, R.E., & Simons, A.D. (2001). The roles of ethnicity and culture in the development of eating disturbance and body dissatisfaction: A meta-analytic review. Clinical Psychology Review, 21, 521-551. CrossRef
- Het effect van slanke vrouwen in commercials op eetgedrag bij lijners
Psychologie en Gezondheid, jaargang 2007
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 105-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Bohn Stafleu van Loghum
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations