Trace element nutrition of the silkwormBombyx mori L.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Benzimidazole is toxic to silkworms due to its antagonistic action to purines. Cobalt and copper possess the capacity to reverse its toxicity because of their ability to form complexes with benzimidazole. For reasons unknown cobalt exerts a favourable effect in its free form rather than in the vitamin form on the insect growth.
- Bheemeswar, B... “Biochemical studies on the silkwormBombyx mori L.,”Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Bombay, India, 1954.
- Garibaldi, J. A., Ijichi, K., Snell, N. S. and Lewis, J. C. “Bacillus megatherium for biosynthesis of cobalamin,”Ind. Eng. Chem., 1953,45, 838–46. CrossRef
- Gillespie, H. B., Engelman, M. and Graff, S. “Benzimidazoles and benzotriazoles as growth antagonists,”J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1954,76, 3531–33. CrossRef
- Konecky, M. S. and Mitlin, N. “Chemical impairment of development in houseflies,”J. Econ. Entomol., 1955,48, 219–20.
- Levinson, Z. H. and Bergmann, E. D. “Vitamin deficiencies in the housefly produced by antivitamins,”J. Insect. Physiol., 1959,3, 293–305. CrossRef
- Slonimski, P. P. and Perrodin, G. “Inhibition of the growth of yeast by benzimidazole. Mechanism of the reversion of the inhibition,”Ann. Inst. Pasteur., 1954,87, 404–12.
- Sridhara, S. and Bhat, J. V. .. “Trace element nutrition of the silkwormBombyx mori L. I. Effect of trace elements,”Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1966.
- Takahashi, J... “Vitamin B12 in silkworms—II,”Nippon Nogei-Kagaku Kaishi, 1955,29, 711–15.
- —————.. “Vitamin B12 in silkworms—III,” Ibid., 1956,30, 563–65.
- Trace element nutrition of the silkwormBombyx mori L.
Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences - Section B
Volume 63, Issue 1 , pp 17-25
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links