Heat transfer to power-law fluids in thermal entrance region with viscous dissipation for constant heat flux conditions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An analytical solution of the heat transfer problem with viscous dissipation for non-Newtonian fluids with power-law model in the thermal entrance region of a circular pipe and two parallel plates under constant heat flux conditions is obtained using eigenvalue approach by suitably replacing one of the boundary conditions by total energy balance equation. Analytical expressions for the wall and the bulk temperatures and the local Nusselt number are presented. The results are in close agreement with those obtained by implicit finite-difference scheme. It is found that the role of viscous dissipation on heat transfer is completely different for heating and cooling conditions at the wall. The results for the case of cooling at the wall are of interest in the design of the oil pipe line.
- Lyche, B. C. and Bird, R. B.,Chem. Eng. Sci. 6 35 (1956). CrossRef
- Forsyth, T. H. and Murphy, N. F.,A.I.Ch.E.J. 15 758 (1969).
- Tien, G.,Can. J. Chem. Eng. 39 45 (1961).
- Vlachopoulos, J. and Keung, C. K. J.,A.I.Ch.E.J. 18 1972 (1972).
- Foraboschi, F. P. and Federico, I. D.,Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 7 315 (1964). CrossRef
- Payvar, P.,Appl. Sci. Res. 27 297 (1973). CrossRef
- Kooijman, J. M.,Chem. Eng. Sci. 28 1149 (1973). CrossRef
- Ou, J. W. and Cheng, K. C.,Appl. Sci. Res. 28 289 (1973).
- Bird, R. B., Steward, W. E., and Lightfoot, E. N.,Transport Phenomena, John Wiley, New York (1960).
- Brown, G. M.,A.I.Ch.E.J. 6 179 (1959).
- Siegel, R., Sparrow, E. M. and Hallman, T. M.,Appl. Sci. Res. A 7 386 (1958).
- Cess, R. D. and Schaffer, E. C.,Appl. Sci. Res. A 8 339 (1959). CrossRef
- Heat transfer to power-law fluids in thermal entrance region with viscous dissipation for constant heat flux conditions
Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences - Section A
Volume 83, Issue 2 , pp 50-64
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors