Harmonic and anharmonic oscillations of a cylindrical plasma in the presence of a uniform axial magnetic field and a steady axial current
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present note we have studied the harmonic and anharmonic oscillations of cylindrical plasma using Lagrangian formalism. In order to study the harmonic oscillations, the equations are linearized and the resulting equation for the displacement has been numerically solved. For situations present in thermonuclear reactors, the presence of axial magnetic field is found necessary to make the periods of oscillation to become comparable with the time required for the thermonuclear reactions to set in. A detailed analysis of the anharmonic oscillations reveals that the significant interaction is between the first and the second mode. The fundamental period of anharmonic oscillation is more than the corresponding period of harmonic oscillations by 9·2%. Graphs have been drawn for the amplitudes of relative variations in density and magnetic field and of the time-varying part of anharmonic oscillation.
- Bishop, A. S. ..Project Sherwood, The U.S. Program in Controlled Fusion, Addison-Wesley, 1958, pp. 50.
- Bennett, W. H...Phys. Rev., 1934,45, 890. CrossRef
- Somerville, J. M. ..The Electric Arc, Methuen 1959, pp. 101.
- Rosseland, S. ..The Pulsation Theory of Variable Stars, Oxford, pp. 102, 1949.
- Kushwaha, R. S. and Bhatnagar, P. L.Bull. of Cal. Math. Soc., 1951,43, 95.
- Bhatnagar, P. L. and Nagpaul, S. R.Zeit. fur Astrophysik, 1957,43, 273.
- Harmonic and anharmonic oscillations of a cylindrical plasma in the presence of a uniform axial magnetic field and a steady axial current
Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences - Section A
Volume 58, Issue 4 , pp 244-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links