Studies on phosphorus oxychloride and aluminium chloride complex
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
1. Anhydrous aluminium chloride reacts with phosphorus oxychloride to give a complex with a composition AlCl3.2 POCl3 which can be prepared in the form of a free flowing powder.
2. The phosphorus oxychloride-aluminium chloride complex in nitrobenzene dissociates into AlCl3.POCl3 and POCl3 as indicated by the cryoscopic measurements.
3. The solution of the complex in nitrobenzene has a higher specific conductivity than the corresponding electrical conductivities of individual components. Similar higher electrical conductance is observed when the two components are mixed in nitrobenzene in different proportions.
4.When a solution of anhydrous aluminium chloride in nitrobenzene is titrated conductometrically against a solution of phosphorus oxychloride in nitrobenzene, a limiting value in the conductivity is reached at point corresponding to the molecular composition, the components in the ratio of 1:2 AlCl3: POCl3 in solution.
5. The absorption maxima of the complex in nitrobenzene solution differ from the absorption maximum of the individual components.
- Studies on phosphorus oxychloride and aluminium chloride complex
Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences - Section A
Volume 51, Issue 5 , pp 270-279
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors