Renal medullary carcinoma in a six-year-old boy with sickle cell trait
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Renal medullary carcinoma (RMC), an aggressive malignant epithelial neoplasm, first emerged as a distinct clinicopathologic entity in 1995. It affects individuals 40 years of age or younger and is strongly associated with sickle cell disease or trait. The majority of patients with RMC have widely disseminated disease at the time of diagnosis and most fail to respond to both chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Mortality approaches 100%, and death usually occurs within a few months to a year of diagnosis. We report a 6-year-old African-American boy with a history of gross hematuria who died four weeks after diagnosis of disseminated metastatic disease. Autopsy showed a 4.4-cm renal mass with metastases to the contra lateral kidney, liver, lungs and multiregional lymph nodes. RMC should be included in the differential diagnosis of any patient 40 years old or younger with a history of hemoglo-binopathy and gross hematuria and/or abdominal or flank pain. A brief discussion of the differential diagnosis, histogenesis and treatment is presented in this study.
- Berman LB: Sickle cell nephropathy. JAMA 228:1279, 1974. CrossRef
- Davis CJJ, Mostofi FK, Sesterhenn IA: Renal medullary carcinoma: the seventh sickle cell nephropathy. Am J Surg Pathol 19: 1–11, 1995. CrossRef
- Avery RA, Harris JE, Davis CJJ, et al: Renal medullary carcinoma: clinical and therapeutic aspects of a newly described tumor. Cancer 78: 128–132, 1996. CrossRef
- Dimashkieh H, Choe J, Mutema G: Renal medullary carcinoma a report of two cases and review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:135–138, 2003.
- Swartz MA, Karth J, Schneider DT et al. Renal medullary carcinoma: Clinical, pathologic, immunohistochemical and genetic analysis with pathogenic implications. Urology 60: 1083–89, 2002. CrossRef
- Davidson AJ, Choyke PL, Hartman DS, Davis CJ Jr. Renal medullary carcinoma associated with sickle cell trait: radiologic findings. Radiology 195: 83–85, 1995.
- Srigley JR, Eble JN: Collecting duct carcinoma of kidney. Semin Diagn Pathol 15: 54–67, 1998.
- Mostofi FK, Vorder Bruegge CF, Diggs LW: Lesions in kidneys removed for unilateral hematuria in sickle cell disease. Arch Pathol 63: 336–51, 1957.
- Pham PT, Pham PC, Wilkinson AH, et al: Renal abnormalities in patients in sickle cell disease. Kidney Int 57: 1–8, 2000. CrossRef
- Ataga KI, Orringer EP: Renal abnormalities in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol 63: 205–211, 2000. CrossRef
- Renal medullary carcinoma in a six-year-old boy with sickle cell trait
Pathology Oncology Research
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 193-195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- sickle cell disease
- renal medullary carcinoma
- collecting duct carcinoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, Hospital Para el Niño Poblano, Puebla, México
- 2. Department of Pathology, Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital, Saint Louis Missouri, USA
- 3. Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Infantil de México Federico Gomez, México DF, México