Blood sugar patterns in treated diabetics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The diurnal pattern of blood sugar levels in 87 diabetic subjects was studied. The subjects were divided into five groups according to the form of diabetic treatment being used. A mid morning peak in the blood sugar level was noted in all groups. There was marked fluctuation in the blood sugar levels throughout the day in all groups except those on biguanide therepy alone. It appears that diurnal fluctuation is influenced by the form of diabetic treatment being used, and also by the state of diabetic control. The practical implications of these observations are discussed.
- Azerad, E., Lubetzki, J., Duprey, J., Weiss, Y. and Freidler, D. 1969. Etude de la secretion insulinque au cours de perfusions de glucose chez des sujets normals et diabetique. Journees. Ann. Diabet. Hotel. Dieu 10, 157.
- Faiman, C. and Moorehouse, J. A. 1967. Diurnal variation in the levels of glucose and related substances in healthy and diabetic subjects during starvation. Clin. Sci. 32, 111.
- Hatlehol, R. 1924. Paradoxical rise of the blood sugar concentration in diabetes mellitus. Acta. Med. Scand. Suppl. VII, 211.
- Izzo, J. L. 1949. Diurnal rhythm in diabetes mellitus. Proc. Amer. Diabetic Assn. 9, 247.
- Jonas, L., Miller, T. G. and Teller, I. 1925. All day blood sugar curves in non-diabetic individuals and in diabetic patients with and without insulin. Arch. Intern. Med. 35, 289.
- Klacho, D. M., Lie, T. H., Cunningham, E. J., Chase, G. R. and Burns, T. W. 1972. Blood glucose levels during walking in normal and diabetic patients. Diabetes, 21, 89.
- Petren, K. 1923. —. Cited by Izzo (1949).
- Rigas, A. N., Bittles, A. H., Hadden, D. R. and Montgomery, D. A. 1968. Circadian variation of glucose, insulin and free fatty acids during long term use of oral hypoglycaemic agents in diabetes mellitus. Brit. med. J. iv, 24.
- Rogers, F. L. 1936. Daily variations of sugar content of blood and urine during treatment of diabetes mellitus. Arch. Int. Med. 57, 1027.
- Spragne, P. H. and Newson, D. A. 1934. Study of twenty four hour blood sugar curves in diabetic patients. Canad. Med. Assoc. J. 3, 609.
- Blood sugar patterns in treated diabetics
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 143, Issue 1 , pp 155-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors