The relation between chiasmata and crossing-over in diploid and triploidDrosophila melanogaster
- K. Mather
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Various genetical data on diploid and triploidDrosophila melanogaster are analysed from a cytological point of view.
It is shown that the frequencies of crossing-over in the diploid agree with the cytologically observed frequencies of chiasma formation and persistence in other organisms, so lending support to the partial chiasma-type hypothesis. The various types of interference are discussed.
The behaviour of the chromosomes at pachytene (synapsis) in the triploid is deduced and it is shown to agree with the cytologically observed behaviour of chromosomes in certain plants. It is also shown that non-random disjunction of the chromosomes may occur in a triploid and its genetical consequences are pointed out.
- Belling, J. (1931) Chiasmas in flowering plants. Univ. Calif. Pub. Bot. 16: pp. 311-38
- Bridges, C. B., Anderson, E. G. (1925) Crossing-over in theX-chromosomes of triploid females ofDrosophila melanogaster. Genetics 10: pp. 418-41
- Bridges, C. B. andMorgan, T. H. (1923). “The third group of mutant characters ofDrosophila melanogaster.”Pub. Carneg. Inst. Wash. 327.
- Darlington, C. D. (1929) Meiosis in polyploids. II. Journ. Gen. 21: pp. 17-56 CrossRef
- Darlington, C. D. (1931) Meiosis in diploid and tetraploidPrimula sinensis. Journ. Gen. 24: pp. 65-96 CrossRef
- Darlington, C. D. (1932) Recent advances in cytology. Churchill, London
- Darlington, C. D., Dark, S. O. S. (1932) The origin and behaviour of chiasmata. II.Stenobothrus parallelus. Cytologia 3: pp. 169-85
- Darlington, C. D., Mather, K. (1932) The origin and behaviour of chiasmata. III. TriploidTulipa. Cytologia 4: pp. 1-15
- Haldane, J. B. S. (1931) The cytological basis of genetical interference. Cytologia 3: pp. 54-65
- McClintock, B. (1932). “Cytological observations inZea on the intimate association of non-homologous parts of chromosomes in the mid-prophase of meiosis and its relation to diakinesis configurations.”Proc. Sixth Int. Cong. Genet. pp. 126–8.
- Newton, W. C. F., Darlington, C. D. (1929) Meiosis in polyploids. I. Journ. Gen. 21: pp. 1-16 CrossRef
- O’Mara, J. (1931) Chromosome pairing inYucca flaccida. Cytologia 3: pp. 66-76
- Redfield, H. (1930) Crossing-over in the third chromosomes of triploids ofDrosophila melanogaster. Genetics 15: pp. 205-52
- Redfield, H. (1932) A comparison of triploid and diploid crossing-over for chromosome II ofDrosophila melanogaster. Genetics 17: pp. 137-52
- Sansome, F. W. (1933) Chromatid segregation inSolanum Lycopersicum. Journ. Gen. 27: pp. 105-26 CrossRef
- Sansome, F. W., Philp, J. (1932) Recent advances in plant genetics. Churchill, London
- Sax, K. (1930) Chromosome structure and the mechanism of crossing-over. Journ. Arnold Arbor. 11: pp. 193-220
- Sax, K. (1932) The cytological mechanism of crossing-over. Journ. Arnold Arbor. 13: pp. 180-212
- Stern, C. (1931) Zytologisch-genetische Untersuchungen als Beweise für die Morgansche Theorie des Faktorenaustausches. Biol. Zbl. 51: pp. 81-121
- Stone, L. H. A., Mather, K. (1932) The origin and behaviour of chiasmata. IV. Diploid and triploidHyacinthus. Cytologia 4: pp. 16-25
- The relation between chiasmata and crossing-over in diploid and triploidDrosophila melanogaster
Journal of Genetics
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 243-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- K. Mather (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. John Innes Horticultural Institution, Merton