Weight gain in overweight and obese community dwelling old-old
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to 1) investigate lifetime weight changes in community dwelling old-old, those age 80 or older; 2) explore reasons for weight changes from their personal perspective and 3) examine ways the old-old feel they can successfully lose weight. A cross sectional design was used for this qualitative study.Setting: One county of a southeastern U.S. state.Participants: Nine community dwelling old-old.Measurement: Content analysis of transcripts was used to examine the interviews.Results: All of the old-old interviewed had reached their maximum weight after the age of 65. Average lifetime weight gain was 73 pounds. All wanted to lose weight and found ways to incorporate small changes in their everyday lives.Conclusion: With increasing life expectancy among older adults, health promotion targeting weight control needs to include the old-old.
- Pi-Sunyer FX. Comorbidities of overweight and obesity: current evidence and research issues. Med Sci Sports Exerc. Nov 1999;31(11 Suppl): S602–608. CrossRef
- CDC. National Health and Nutrition Survey data. July 25, 2006.
- World Health Organization. Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 1995; 854: 1–452.
- Nutrition Screening Initiative. Incorporating nutrition screening and intervention into medical practice. Washington, D.C.: Nutrition Screening Initiative; 1994.
- Jenkins KR, Fultz NH, Fonda SJ, Wray LA. Patterns of body weight in middle-aged and older Americans, by gender and race, 1993–2000. Soz Praventivmed. 2003;48(4): 257–268.
- Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2000. JAMA. Oct 9 2002;288(14): 1723–1727. CrossRef
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, McDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. Jama. Apr 5 2006;295(13): 1549–1555. CrossRef
- Kotz CM, Billington CJ, Levine AS. Obesity and aging. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 1999 May 1999;15(2): 391–412.
- Callen BL, Wells TJ. Screening for nutritional risk in community-dwelling old-old. Public Health Nursing. 2005;22(2): 138–146. CrossRef
- Fontaine KR, Redden DT, Wang C, Westfall AO, Allison DB. Years of life lost due to obesity. Jama. Jan 8 2003;289(2): 187–193. CrossRef
- National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity. Overweight, obesity, and health risk. National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity. Arch Intern Med. Apr 10 2000;160(7): 898–904. CrossRef
- Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, et al. Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. Jama. Jan 1 2003;289(1): 76–79. CrossRef
- Onyike CU, Crum RM, Lee HB, Lyketsos CG, Eaton WW. Is obesity associated with major depression? Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Epidemiol. Dec 15 2003;158(12): 1139–1147. CrossRef
- Bianchini F, Kaaks R, Vainio H. Overweight, obesity, and cancer risk. Lancet Oncol. Sep 2002;3(9): 565–574. CrossRef
- Calle EE, Rodriguez C, Walker-Thurmond K, Thun MJ. Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults. N Engl J Med. Apr 24 2003;348(17): 1625–1638. CrossRef
- Calle EE, Thun MJ. Obesity and cancer. Oncogene. Aug 23 2004; 23(38): 6365–6378. CrossRef
- Kannel WB, Wilson PW, Nam BH, D’Agostino RB. Risk stratification of obesity as a coronary risk factor. Am J Cardiol. Oct 1 2002;90(7): 697–701. CrossRef
- Kenchaiah S, Evans JC, Levy D, et al. Obesity and the risk of heart failure. N Engl J Med. Aug 1 2002;347(5): 305–313. CrossRef
- Yusuf S, Hawken S, Ounpuu S, et al. Obesity and the risk of myocardial infarction in 27,000 participants from 52 countries: a case-control study. Lancet. Nov 5 2005;366(9497): 1640–1649. CrossRef
- Okoro CA, Hootman JM, Strine TW, Balluz LS, Mokdad AH. Disability, arthritis, and body weight among adults 45 years and older. Obes Res. May 2004; 12(5): 854–861. CrossRef
- Liou TH, Pi-Sunyer FX, Laferrere B. Physical disability and obesity. Nutr Rev. Oct 2005;63(10): 321–331. CrossRef
- Kushner RF. Body weight and mortality. Nutrition Reviews. 1993 May 1993;51(5): 127–136. CrossRef
- Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Kuczmarski RJ, Johnson CL. Overweight and obesity in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1960–1994. International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders. 1998 Jan 1998;22(1): 39–47. CrossRef
- Callen BL, Wells TJ. Views of community-dwelling, old-old people on barriers and aids to nutritional health. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2003;35(3): 257–262. CrossRef
- CDC Wonder. Population Information 2004. Accessed June 5, 2006.
- Pfeiffer E. A short portable mental status questionnaire for the assessment of organic brain deficit in elderly patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1975 Oct 1975;23(10): 433–441.
- Hennessy CH, Moriarty DG, Zack MM, Scherr PA, Brackbill R. Measuring health-related quality of life for public health surveillance. Public Health Rep. Sep–Oct 1994;109(5): 665–672.
- Neuendorf KA. Content analysis guidebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 2002.
- McGuire MT, Wing RR, Klem ML, Hill JO. Behavioral strategies of individuals who have maintained long-term weight losses. Obes Res. Jul 1999;7(4): 334–341.
- Heo M, Allison DB, Faith MS, Zhu S, Fontaine KR. Obesity and quality of life: mediating effects of pain and comorbidities. Obes Res. Feb 2003; 11(2): 209–216. CrossRef
- Gregg EW, Gerzoff RB, Thompson TJ, Williamson DF. Intentional weight loss and death in overweight and obese U.S. adults 35 years of age and older. Ann Intern Med. Mar 4 2003; 138(5)383–389.
- Weight gain in overweight and obese community dwelling old-old
The Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging
Volume 12, Issue 4 , pp 233-237
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- weight gain
- Industry Sectors